FAQ: Maximizing cable modem or DSL speed

Q: How do I get the maximum possible DSL or cable modem speed? Should I use one of those tweaking programs?

A: See the Navas Cable Modem/DSL Tuning Guide at .

Reply to
John Navas
Loading thread data ...

Ya, right!

Reply to
Kim

John is a professional with some impressive credentials to back-up what he says, and he's offering some very good advice. I don't agree with all of his opinions, but he is a professional that deserves some respect. Even if you have serious issues with his professional advice, altering his words when you quote them was even more childish than your snipish response. What are you contributing to this community?

For those who missed John's original post, the correct link to his site is .

Reply to
Warren

A professional what?

*TimDaniels*
Reply to
Timothy Daniels

Back when I lived in San Diego I had a DSL connection that I suddenly started having problems with. SBC even came out and could not offer any solution. I went to John's website and problem solved in 5 min. It was free, he is not offering things for sale. If you don't want to check it out, fine. His posts are on the up and up though.

Reply to
Tabby

What turned out to be the problem?

Navas is a small business computer consultant in northern California. His website is part of his advertizing. It's undoubtedly also a tax deduction. And as a consultant, dependent on "image" for business, he will defend any off-hand statement to the death rather than publicly admit to an error. Check the Google archives for 1999-2001 postings in alt.dcom.xdsl and in alt.sys.dcom.xdsl for examples.

*TimDaniels*
Reply to
Timothy Daniels

I don't remember exactly. There was a setting in the computer (a Win98 system) that could be set anywhere from 1 to 32767. I ran a script I obtained from Navas' website that tweaked it and my speed went back up to what it had always been (~1.5mbs). I had blamed SBC but it wasn't their fault. I had not made any changes to this value prior so I don't how the setting got messed up in the first place. I assume some other software I installed messed it up.

I am familiar with this trait of his from his posts to alt.cellular.cingular. Still I am grateful to him that I was able to fix my DSL problem. Check the Google archives for 1999-2001 postings

Reply to
Tabby

Duh. In general, revenue minus expenses equals income. So of course business expenses are deductions. It's not like he's getting anything extra for putting useful information up there instead of just an advertisement. He doesn't get extra brownie points from the IRS. He gets to deduct the actual expense, regardless of the value of the content.

So because some people disagree with him, nothing he says is of any value? I'm sure I can dig-up a few things you've said that others have believed they sufficiently proven you wrong about that you continued to maintain your own opinion.

Do I agree with everything John says? No. I don't remember anything specific, but I'm pretty sure you'll find something he and I disagreed on sometime in the last decade, and I'm sure you could also dig up people who agreed with him, as well as people who agreed with me.

But that doesn't invalidate the value of the link he provided. Spending an hour reading his guide is a better use of time than spending an hour reading these Usenet groups. Again, don't agree with him 100%. There's no one I agree with 100%. I don't even agree with myself 100% of the time. But I feel comfortable enough saying that his page is an excellent resource, and offers far better advice, and in a more concise way than many other sites.

Want to disagree with something specific John says? Go ahead. I'm sure if you nit-pick enough you can find a few things. I know I can. Then take the time to put together as comprehensive and concise resource as he has, and then give it away for free. Then come back and tell us about what a great tax deduction it is.

BTW... John used to spend a lot of time on Usenet helping thousands of strangers with their problems for free. But you can add him to a growing list of people who just don't bother anymore. I can't speak for why John isn't around as much anymore, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was because the occasional "thank you" stopped being gratifying enough to make up for all the snipers who apparently stroke their own egos not by participating constructively, but by flaming those who do.

Reply to
Warren

Did I say that?

So after 5 paragraphs, what's your point?

*TimDaniels*
Reply to
Timothy Daniels

Right - for Win98. And according to one of the 2 major PC magazines and comments in the microsoft newsgroups, the TCP/IP receive window size is automatically adjusted for prevailing conditions by Windows XP, but Navas still has the tweak for WinXP. I'd ask him about that, but given his adamance and pugnacity and refusal to ever admit an error, I'd never believe his reply.

*TimDaniels*
Reply to
Timothy Daniels

Yep, in more words than that...

There ya go...you've proven it's a waste of time to counter your omnipotent opinion.

Reply to
zaj

On Thu, 19 Oct 2006 23:41:27 -0700, "Warren" put finger to keyboard and composed:

The problem with John Navas is that he is arrogant, abrasive, and dismissive of other people's opinions. That's not to say that his FAQ is not an excellent resource. But as for his motivation, I think a large part of it is self aggrandisement. For example, JN regularly posts an ad for his "Navas 28800-56K Modem FAQ TM"

formatting link
which has not been updated since Win98 and V.90 days. He promotes his "Navas' Best of the BestTM" trademark
formatting link
which is at best pointless because it recommends modems that have not been produced for over a decade and which refers to magazine reviews the last of which is dated 1996. Yet JN's instructions for obtaining his coveted seal of approval have been updated as recently as July 19, 2003.

- Franc Zabkar

Reply to
Franc Zabkar

I made no reference to people disagreeing with Navas. I did not say nothing that he says is of any value. I did imply that you can't tell what is true and what isn't in what he says because he never admits to an error but rather, he will defend anything he says to the bitter end.

*TimDaniels*
Reply to
Timothy Daniels

In comp.dcom.xdsl Franc Zabkar wrote in part:

So? Beggars cannot be choosers. Why would you look for validation from him or anyone else? It can only come from within.

Precisely. Glass half-empty or half full? Take the best of what people offer, and do not complain of that which you do not want. It smacks of ingratitude or worse.

Sp? Are you a qualified mental health professional? And if perchance you were, you'd know you cannot diagnose on such thin data. What would it matter anyways? Will you only deal with those whose motive you judge "pure"?

-- Robert

Reply to
Robert Redelmeier

Both points may be true. Oh, heck, I'll stipulate that both points are true.

His guide, however, is fairly neutral, personality-wise. So even if he is an arrogant, abrasive and dismissing person, that has nothing to do with his guide.

Allowing personality issues to get in the way of admitting that his guide is a good resource is a personality problem itself. And it appears there are a couple of people who are suffering from that disorder. And I'd take advice from a guy who's also known for his arrogance rather than ignore his input just because a couple of people don't like the guy.

BTW... Most of the time when I read a technical book I haven't had any exposure to the author personally. Wouldn't it be foolish if I decided upon the value of what I read based on whether the author has a personality that rubs me the wrong way? Since when does personality matter? And if personality matters, then the poster "Kim" that altered John's post when she quoted it to change the link to something about "bite me", and then commented, "Ya, right!" doesn't gain anything for personality, either.

Reply to
Warren

---blah blah blah snipped ------------

--- bullsh*t snipped------------------

Assuming this guy has all his mental faculties functioning properly, I am willing to bet that he would have remembered had he really had a modem problem.

Reply to
Kim

----------- snip ----------------

Will you please give it up? From past participation in the dcom.modem newsgroup I got to know how much Navass really knows about modems, let alone cable modems. NOTHING!

Reply to
Kim

Ah... one of the computer elite gods, eh? I broke ranks with them back in the mid 80's I think. And I am so glad I did. :)

Reply to
BillW50

-------- snip -----------

------------ snip --------------

No! No! No! The problem with John Navas - whom, I have to admit, only know through his past postings in the dcom.modem newsgroup - is that he is John Navas who thinks he knows much and some of you in this group think he is a god. Neither is right.

Reply to
Kim

------------- snip------------

--------------snip-------------

That is because he has nothing of value to contribute other than what - I am assuming - he borrowed from someplace else...

Reply to
Kim

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.