D-Link router - Ethernet works but wireless does not

I have a desktop with a wireless PCI card (D-Link DWL-G250) and a wireless router to connect to (D-Link DI-624). Of late, I haven't been able to connect to it over wireless. Using an ethernet cable, I am able to connect to the internet via the cable modem connection that I have.

I have the ethernet connection configured to obtain an IP address and DNS server address automatically, and it works fine with that setting. I can surf webpages without problems.

For the wireless connection, when I do the same thing, (i.e. ask it obtain IP and DNS server address automatically), I get no internet connectivity. My card is able to detect the wireless network, though. I can also ping the router over wireless (i.e. after unplugging the ethernet cable) whose IP is 192.168.0.1. But when I go to 'View wireless networks', click on mine and say connect, the status indefinitely shows as 'Acquiring Network Address'.

What am I missing here?

SD

Reply to
SD
Loading thread data ...

"SD" hath wroth:

"Acquiring Network Address" means that you have successfully found the wirless router, but that the encryption key exchange probably failed. However, it shouldn't sit there indefinitely. It should eventually say "limited connectivity...". If you're using WEP, be sure to use the Hex WEP key, not the ASCII. Also try it with no encryption and see if that works. Both ends will do WPA-PSK, so you should be using that. Also, check the DLink web pile for the latest drivers and firmware.

Note that DLink has finally posted the latest beta firmware for various DI-624 models. For Rev C:

formatting link
2.75beta2. This is new.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Duh.. how could I miss this? It was the WEP key that was incorrect, and now the problem is fixed, although one would imagine that if the key were incorrect, an error message would pop up to that effect. Anyway, thanks much.

SD

Jeff Liebermann wrote:

Reply to
SD

Actually, it's very easy to miss and not your fault. Microsloth simply forgot to include useful connection progress diagnostics. Wireless Zero Config should indicate that there was an encryption or authentication mismatch, but it doesn't.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

On Thu, 20 Jul 2006 01:03:29 GMT, Jeff Liebermann wrote in :

It's really a WEP issue, not a Microsoft issue -- WEP has no real handshake mechanism that could provide feedback on key mismatch, just encryption and decryption. If each end has a different key, then decryption results in meaningless garbage at the receiving end. There's no error sent back to the sender, since the packet has been received over Wi-Fi without error. Thus the DHCP client just keeps sending discovery requests that the DHCP server never sees, until the DHCP client eventually times out. This is why we just see long "acquiring network address" delays.

Reply to
John Navas

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.