Digital Video Recorder from COX?

I don't see anything about recording to a VHS/DVD?? .. not good!

What is the point of recording stuff when eventually through lack of space you have to write over it or lose it??

Reply to
Lonnie
Loading thread data ...

Buy the DVD.

Reply to
Ron Hunter

Yes, and it allows recording of two shows at the same time, while watching one of the two, (or both with PIP), or watching a previously recorded show. Now if it would just synchronize the recording with the actual start/stop times for each channel, some of which (like TNT) run a few minutes ahead, or behind the real time....

Sometimes the sound and video lose sync on my box, and the sound goes away somtimes and I have to fast forward, or rewind a bit to restore it. Like I say, it (the one provided by Charter) has a few bugs, and some operational quirks, but for $10 a month, it is great!

Reply to
Ron Hunter

Depends on your needs. If you're just interested in recording stuff, to watch a bit later, it's fine. It also gives you the ability to pause or rewind shows that are currently being broadcast.

Reply to
James Knott

}Lonnie wrote: } }> I don't see anything about recording to a VHS/DVD?? .. not good! }> }> What is the point of recording stuff when eventually through lack of space you have to }> write over it or lose it?? } }Buy the DVD.

Tivo does have a special where their taking off $100 for their various models

formatting link
a high end DVD recorder has been oin my mind for quite some time. TIme will whittle donw the price

Reply to
Lonnie

It's not that difficult. You can buy Toshiba and Panasonic DVD recorders with hard drives right now. No need to mess around with a PC at all. -Dave

Reply to
Dave C.

These folks are trying to stay out of the trouble Sonic Blue got into with the ReplayTV. They got sued over copyright problems. "Time shifting" seems to be OK but the MPAA is not happy about being able to save/swap near DVD quality copies of their content. If you really want to make DVDs you are better with a PC and a capture card. Until the cable companies start using some sort of copy protection (macrovision or similar) you can still make a VCR copy of anything your TV can show. The digital standard already has a copyright flag in it so making copies of digital shows will be tougher if they don't want you to. I assume the hackers have already defeated this on a PC based recorder tho.

Reply to
Greg

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.