Comcast is now 5.5 megabits

I went to download something I just purchased, and I calculate Comcast dowload speeds to be up to 5.5 megabits. The download was coming at speeds as high as 559 thousand bytes per second, which translates to about 5.5 megabits

Reply to
Charles Newman
Loading thread data ...

my service always had (since 1999) around 350 to 750 kilo bytes which is half a meg and lets you click and watch movies in real time

political and pron.

hope that helped

-----------------

you can shove your megabits you academic shyster.

"Charles Newman" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com...

Reply to
name

Not quite. There are 8 bits/byte, plus some overhead. Don't confuse cable modems with the old dial up modems, where your serial port was configured for start & stop bits.

Reply to
James Knott

"Charles Newman" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com...

Comcast is starting to bump customers to 6 mb down 384 up. They even have a faster 8 meg 768 down tier that people are starting to see.

Reply to
Dan

Check this link to the Comcast forums to see when your area has been upgraded:

formatting link

Reply to
Bill M.

Not entirely accurate. Ive had it for a while now. (In Illinois) along with most people i know.

Reply to
Dan

It's accurate, as far I can tell. Once it's available to _everyone_ in an area, that area will be marked "Available" in the forum thread. Obviously, it will be available to some folks before then, but that doesn't make it inaccurate.

This note from the forum explains further: "Please note that some Comcast markets not listed above may be performing tests for the new speeds prior to being placed on the confirmed list above. These tests are being performed to ensure the equipment is compatible with the upcoming speeds. So you may see some posts in these and other forums from customers who have received the new speeds but are not located in the official upgrade list above. Please keep in mind that these customers may continue to see the higher speeds while others may be dropped back to the current speeds once testing has been completed. Once an area has confirmed that 100% of their market has received the speed upgrade, we will add them to the above list."

Reply to
Bill M.

The 8 megs must be the business-grade service I have seen advertised at times. I know that Comcast wants to get more businesses connected to their service.

Reply to
Charles Newman

Well, I do know that Comcast is planning business-grade cable internet service, I saw it advertised some time back.

Reply to
Charles Newman

Posted on the comcast 100% pure broadband forum:

Since this question was asked in a previous thread, it may answer a few questions some of you may have regarding the business service tiers so below are the current and new speeds for the current workplace service tiers.

Current Speeds New Speeds Teleworker 5Mbps/512kbps 8Mbps/768kbps Standard: Teleworker 6Mbps/768kbps 8Mbps/768kbps Enhanced: Workplace 5Mbps/512kbps 6Mbps/768kbps Standard: Workplace 7Mbps/768kbps 8Mbps/1Mbps Enhanced:

Please note that there will be some restructuring of the business class tiers so please check with the workplace website

formatting link
for additional information once the speeds are fully launched nationwide by the end of summer.

Reply to
Claude Ortega

No, the 8 Meg service is the new Gold tier for residential users.

The current speeds are 4 Mbps for Standard tier and 6 Mbps for Gold tier. After the upgrade, it's 6 Mbps for Standard tier and 8 Mbps for Gold tier. All of this is Residential.

Reply to
Bill M.

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.