Charter hijacks browser

This may have negative ramifications for Charter as news of this unethical activity gets out:

As of yesterday (as best I can determine), Charter.net cable internet services is now hijacking bad DNS queries. In other words, if you mistype a domain name and end up typing one that doesn't exist, normally you'd get an error message. Your own browser has settings where you can choose to be redirected to a search page of your choice, or none at all, if that is your choice.

Charter took that choice away. Now, all bad queries go to here:

formatting link
It doesn't matter what your browser settings are. This is because your browser depends on an error code coming back from the Domain Name Servers (DNS), at which point your browser would either display an error message or redirect you to your chosen search page. Now, since Charter's DNS servers never return errors and instead respond with Charter's search page, your browser never receives the proper error code and therefore has no trigger to take you to your chosen search page.

This presents further problems as many software applications (off the shelf and custom, and enterprise software) depend on the internet working the same everywhere. Many applications depend on this error code. They will all fail to work as designed because Charter wants to make advertising revenue.

This unethical activity was attempted by Verisign back in 2003 (but in their case, it effected the ENTIRE internet, not just customers of a single ISP). You can get more information on the Verisign fiasco here for context:

formatting link

Reply to
CSharpner
Loading thread data ...

Have you tried using another open DNS server ? Does that solve the problem ?

Reply to
$Bill

Yes, and it does.

Primary 4.2.2.2 Secondary 4.2.2.3

Reply to
CSharpner

Yes, but that requires a cookie. Browsers use cookies, but not all software that depend on DNS use cookies.

It should work according to expected standards by default. Other ways of things working should be opt-in, not opt-out, especially if the opt-out doesn't do the job it's supposed to.

Reply to
Warren H

This isn't exactly a grievous crime. There's a simple opt-out:

formatting link

Reply to
Agent_C

Their opt out is a farce on many levels and is NOT simple:

1. It's temporary (60 or 90 days, then you're forced back in).
  2. It installs a cookie for your browser (I shouldn't have to install something to NOT get a service).
  3. You must install the stupid cookie on every browser you use (I currently use both IE and FireFox).
  4. You must install it on each browser on each computer (I have two computers, two browsers each, so I'd have to "opt-out" 4 times.
  5. I'd have to opt out a minimum of 16 times a year (if it expires after 90 days) up to 24 times a year (if it expires in 60 days).
  6. Additionally, I'd have to "opt-out" again for each virtual machine I use (I use many, because I'm a software developer).
  7. Each time I use the snapshot feature in my VMs, I'd have to opt- out again for each browser in my VM.
  8. Any time I have to reinstall Windows, I'd have to re-"opt-out" on both browsers.
  9. Any time settngs get messed up, I'd have to re-opt-out.
  10. A common security practice is to delete your cookies, which I do often in IE, which requires yet another op-out.
  11. In FireFox, one of my favorite and most used features is to accept cookies only for the current session, at which point they'll be deleted when the session ends. Can't do that anymore or I'd have to opt-out every time I browse... not feasible.
  12. They never asked me if I wanted to "opt-in".
  13. They never informed me that they were doing this.
  14. Other internet enabled software (All other software that is NOT a browser) that doesn't use cookies, cannot "opt-out".
  15. They should NOT be changing the default behavior of the Internet.

There is a simple solution to this: They should just stop hijacking. IE7 and FireFox both have the ability to set a default search page. IF WE WANTED CHARTER AS OUR DEFAULT, WE'D SET IT OURSELVES!!!! What they've done is overridden what we've ALREADY CHOSEN! If I wrote software that did this to your machine, without asking, you'd call it "browser hijacking", "adware", and "malware". If I got caught, I'd likely go to jail. Why should it be any different for Charter??

As you can see, it's a lot more complicated and a lot more cumbersome than a "simple opt-out".

Reply to
CSharpner

I'd bet good money (as opposed to that stuff I normally use) that the terms of service are worded in a way that allows them to do this. But just because they can, doesn't mean they should.

As you've said, not all software that requires DNS resolution uses cookies. Getting a webpage that wasn't requested instead of the correct information or an error essentially breaks that software.

Ideally, if they really have their hearts set on doing this, it should be an opt-in, not an opt-out. But if they just don't have enough respect for their customers to make it opt-in, then they should have an opt-out process that is both permanent, and works for all Internet-enabled software, not just cookie-enabled browsers.

As implemented, it very squarely falls into the category of things they can do, but shouldn't do.

Reply to
Warren H

Yep. Correct on all points (though, I haven't checked the agreement, but I'm sure it probably states something like that). Since I've posted that, a new high speed internet company has come to town which will be providing fiber to the door. I'll be able to get 15mb/s (as opposed to Charter's 3mb... well, OK, charter JUST NOW upped to 4mb) for the same price (or less) than I'm paying charter. I'll also be able to dump Charter for my cable TV as well as this company will be offering HDTV as well. Unbelievably good timing!! I'll be sure to let charter know why I'm dumping them. Up until now, I haven't had a choice.

Reply to
CSharpner

I sure hope FIOS is the panacea everybody seems to think it is/will be.

Fiber to the home may have dramatically greater bandwidth, but it doesn't make Verizon immune from service outages, connectivity problems, network latency and sub par support.

I recall what a complete disaster DSL was when they first started to roll it out; and to this day, their network slows down at peak hours in ways my Roadrunner connection never has.

I'm staying tuned...

A_C

Reply to
Agent_C

What outfit is that so I can check their website out and see where else they're going ?

Reply to
$Bill

Must be nice. Where are you?

Reply to
clifto

It's TDS.

formatting link

They haven't rolled the fiber in my neighborhood yet. If anyone else gets this service, let us know:

1. Does it live up to the download speed claims of 15mb/s?
  2. Does it live up to the upload speed claims of 2mb/s?
  3. Do they do the unethical browser hijacking too??
  4. Reliability?
  5. Hardware -- What do you get? Do you have to pay monthly for the HW? How much?
  6. Do you use any VOIP phone service (like Lingo.com or Vonage.com)? Does it work?
  7. Did you get the TV combo? Is the video quality any good? Are all channels digital?
  8. If you got the TV combo, what about hardware? What'd you get and how much do you pay monthly for the hardware (not counting the service price itself).

For the record, their phone service (which is VOIP, as I understand it) is way more expensive than either Lingo.com or Vonage.com. I'll be sticking with Lingo.com and ditch TDS's phone service.

If I'm the first one here to get this, I'll report back on all of these. I just don't know when they'll be rolling out fiber in my neighborhood. I'll be their first customer when they do (assuming no one here has really bad stuff to report about them).

Reply to
CSharpner

Knoxville, TN.

Reply to
CSharpner

Not here yet. Looks like a DSL and Satellite setup. Couldn't find any reference to fiber on their site.

From their FAQ:

What Speed Packages are available with TDS Wireless?

TDS currently provides Wireless to both residential and business customers in 1 and 2 year contracts ranging from 384k to 4MB. For Pricing and Package information, Please contact our Sales Department at 1-877-METROCOM or 1-877-638-7626. You can also get more information at

formatting link

4MB would normally be 4 MegaBytes, but I doubt that was their intent. I assume they meant 4 Mb - 4 Megabits. Let us know if you can find any reference to fiber for these guys.

They show a 3 Mb service for $20/mo for 6 mo. Looks like it goes to $50 after the trial period.

Reply to
$Bill

OK, found a couple of other links on the subject:

formatting link
TDS Metrocom has launched a pilot program for one Fitchburg neighborhood, offering broadband Internet speeds of as high as 10 megabits per second? several times higher than the fastest cable and DSL packages currently available?in order to gauge customer usage and potential applications of an emerging technology. ...

The service is being offered to about 1,100 homes in the McKee Road area, offering download speeds of one, four and 10 mbps at $20, $30, and $45 per month, respectively. The service is also being offered with phone service over the same fiber cable for an additional $44. ...

Basic wiring setup for TDS fiber to home:

formatting link

Reply to
$Bill

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.