Speed increase means nothing

TO all, What good is a speed increase from the cable companies when websites and such are saturated and U can only get a fraction of the bandwidth available anyway. I just went with COX's 5MB/768K plan. I havent seen anything faster than say maybe 2MB/sec. when dl and such.

Reply to
Joseph L
Loading thread data ...

Well first they offer 5Mbps not 5MBps (there is a big difference) If you have premiere (5Mbps) and are only getting 2Mbps then I say give them a call as you have a problem on your drop. I have the 4Mbps and consistently get what I pay for.

Reply to
PC Medic

I guess you are having problems then. I routinely download faster than

2 Mbps (even *before* Cox increased my speed).
Reply to
.BRIAN.

Joseph,

Where are you testing your speeds? How are you judging that your connection is running slow?

One good site to test your speed at is

formatting link
- please post your results.

Also, if you give me the MAC address to your modem, I can run some tests on it and try to handle your speed issue from that angle.

-CoxTech1 Cox Communications

Joseph L wrote:

Reply to
CoxTech1

}TO all, }What good is a speed increase from the cable companies when websites and such are }saturated and U can only get a fraction of the bandwidth available anyway. I just went }with COX's 5MB/768K plan. I havent seen anything faster than say maybe 2MB/sec. when dl }and such.

If u try to order services online and upgrade to the premier package it doesn't even show my modem - Toshiba PCX1100. So i called them up and I tell 2 or 3 X's what modem I had and they said it would work. Doesn't seem any faster to me

Reply to
Joseph L

1.3 Mbps for me. At least Speakeasy and Megapath gives me 2.1 Mbps/490 Kbps.
Reply to
ric

I did mean what u said though Thanks for the correction, you're right.

maybe my Toshiba PCX1100 is faulty. It is about 3 years old.

What state are u in? M in RI.

I'ts funny because in 1 of the offices that I clean the guy has Comcast cable and his connection snaps? } }

Reply to
Joseph L

Try downloading some files from http:// or ftp://127.0.0.1 and see how fast they go! ;-)

Reply to
James Knott

In Orange County, CA, I get 2911 / 477 from Speakeasy. Similar results from DSL reports and Cox. Several tests over 2 days.

Reply to
Song Li

Gaming.

Reply to
WindsorFox[SS]

So, when you download a game from, say, EA games you actually pull 4Mbps from their server? I seriously doubt that. You may consistantly get 4Mbps on sites to check your speed, but you will rarely see that in the "real world" on servers that are busy and in far away places.

Reply to
WindsorFox[SS]

One could easily interpret that differently - the 384/128 is a rip-off at $30.

Reply to
$Bill

CoxTech1 wrote in news:9nJSc.12252$pT5.542@lakeread05:

Actually, I don't know why that site is so bad, but if my results were only coming from that site, I would be pretty annoyed as well. That site says I have a line speed of (seriously!) 1004kbps. Yep. One measly meg. Downloads and other test sites disagree, however. Bandwidthplace.com gives a much more optimistic 3.5Mb. One of the many tests at dslreports.com is even better...4043kbps. So you can see that if I only used the results from Cox's test, and didn't factor in other tests and my own experience downloading, then yeah, I'd probably be as disgruntled as Joe.

Well, maybe not quite as disgruntled. I don't think I would ever get ticked enough to not spell out the word 'you'.

Reply to
Howard

Pretty funny! BTW, I came out at 4.3Mb Chip

Reply to
cjdaytonjr

Yep, you're probably right. ::rolleyes::

formatting link
formatting link

Reply to
.BRIAN.

Hmm... if *I* were a serious gamer, I'd be rather have low latency and a

3 Mbps connection, than a 4 Mbps connection and crap latency. I'm pretty sure gamers are benefiting from a 1 Mbps increase. But hey... what the hell do I know.
Reply to
.BRIAN.

Correction:

I'm pretty sure gamers /aren't/ benefiting much from a 1 Mbps increase.

Reply to
.BRIAN.

}Joseph, } }Where are you testing your speeds? How are you judging that your }connection is running slow? } }One good site to test your speed at is

formatting link
- }please post your results. } }Also, if you give me the MAC address to your modem, I can run some tests }on it and try to handle your speed issue from that angle.

Here's a few results started at 7:19PM in RI:

Raw Data: Connection Class : Cable Modem or Higher download start time: 1092352701190 download end time: 1092352713057 download time: 11.867 download size in thousands of bytes: 5001 estimated line speed (K bits per second): 3371 stimated line speed (K bytes per second): 421.4

Raw Data: Connection Class : Cable Modem or Higher download start time: 1092352821533 download end time: 1092352833841 download time: 12.308 download size in thousands of bytes: 5001 estimated line speed (K bits per second): 3251 stimated line speed (K bytes per second): 406.3

Raw Data: Connection Class : Cable Modem or Higher download start time: 1092352875421 download end time: 1092352887628 download time: 12.207 download size in thousands of bytes: 5001 estimated line speed (K bits per second): 3277 stimated line speed (K bytes per second): 409.7

Raw Data: Connection Class : Cable Modem or Higher download start time: 1092352926644 download end time: 1092352940164 download time: 13.52 download size in thousands of bytes: 5001 estimated line speed (K bits per second): 2959 stimated line speed (K bytes per second): 369.9

MAC = 00-90-83-3B-A8-84 } }-CoxTech1 }Cox Communications } } }Joseph L wrote: }> TO all, }> What good is a speed increase from the cable companies when websites and such are }> saturated and U can only get a fraction of the bandwidth available anyway. I just went }> with COX's 5MB/768K plan. I havent seen anything faster than say maybe

2MB/sec. when dl }> and such.
Reply to
Joseph L

Well you can use the extra speed to download things from multiple sites at once, with programs like GetRight. Also, make sure your receive window is large enough to make use of the 5 mbps or speeds will be limited. Test your speed with a good speed test site and follow its recommendations for getting maximum rates. While it won't make slow sites any faster, you can at least speed up downloading.

Reply to
Ron Hunter

You can get those speeds from MicroSofts servers when they aren't busy. I recall getting speeds near 6 mbps when I had @Home service.

Reply to
Ron Hunter

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.