Comcast 20 megabits?

When did Comcast go to 20 megabits plus on their residential service? I always thought those kinds of speeds were only avaialble on their Business Class service.

The 10-watt USB adapter I have on my laptop connects to whatever unsecured wireless it can find, and at one Fish and Chips shop on Stockton Blvd in Sacramento, my laptop uses on Comcast residential connection running an open WiFi. I was surprised to find that Comcast residential service has 20 megabit speeds. I have always thought you had to get the more expensive business class service if you wantd that kind of speed. Speedtest shows the connection speed at about 20 megabits.

The software driver for my USB adaper looks for and connects to whatever open WiFi it can find.

And I always thought that runnng open WiFi was verboten on Comcast residential services.

Reply to
Fritz Owl
Loading thread data ...

When they were seeing customers jumping over to Verizon FiOS to get faster speeds. Here in Dallas Texas, Comcast/RoadRunner Extreme package is 30/5 for $78.

I jumped back to Comcast because the 25/25 FiOS went to $87 a month and Comcast gave me one year $55/mo price. Thinking about going back to FiOS because Verizion has offered me $30+tax a month for two years.

Running open WiFi or services to the public is a no no on any residential service for either ISP.

Reply to
Bit Twister

Down in the Austin & San Antonio areas, there's been reporting that TWC is upgrading everyone on the 50Mbps plan to 200Mbps at no extra charge, which is mostly seen as a proactive move to keep people from defecting to Google's gigabit service when it gets there. Competition seems to be a good thing.

I know of no ISP that forbids running open WiFi. It's a bad idea for multiple reasons, but not forbidden.

Reply to
Bill M.
*-* On Wed, 29 Apr 2015, at 13:19:59 -0700, *-* In Article , *-* Fritz Owl wrote *-* About Comcast 20 megabits?

Boy, are you behind the times!!!!! ;-) Comcast has had residential speeds up to 105 Megabits for a few years now.

Are you sure that it was residential, and not one of the WiFi "Hot Spots" that Comcast itself operates, "piggy-backed" on the combo modem/routers they supply to their customers?

Ken Whiton

Reply to
Ken Whiton

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.