Comcast Discontinues Newsgroup Service.

In another newsgroup, a poster has found that Comcast will be discontinuing their "Comcast Newsgroups Service".

Those using newsgroups.comcast.net will need to find another provider on or before Saturday, October 25, 2008:

Reply to
1PW
Loading thread data ...

And no mention of a reduction in the monthly bill. Oh yeah, that's right, they referred to it as the 'complimentary' Usenet service. Still waiting impatiently for Uverse to get rolled out, and this is just one more tickmark on the 'Reasons I'm gong to dump Comcast' list.

Reply to
Herb Kauhry

They seem to all be doing it. Roadrunner said it wasn't being used enough to warrant it - that has to be bull - probably more like people were using too much bandwidth.

Does Uverse have a free usenet service ? It's available here and that

4 channel DVR is a nice bonus with the 200 package. The only drawback to Uverse is you have to kick up the internet package about two levels to reach normal speeds.
Reply to
$Bill

"$Bill" wrote in news:gc8etd$1rr$ snipped-for-privacy@registered.motzarella.org:

If you're still looking for a Usenet alternative, it might be worth checking a third party service that focuses on that. I had switched over to Newsguy and I can use them from whatever ISP or access location I have available. They have low-cost options that cover low traffic as well as options for heavier and unlimited downloads.

If you check their site newsguy.com they have a special that gives sign-ups from Comcast an extra free month and I'd recommend using the trial account to check them out first.

hank

Reply to
hank

That doesn't answer the original question though. Does Uverse supply a news feed ? I can shop for a 3rd party news feed no problem, but if they already supply one, it might be worth swapping from RR.

Reply to
$Bill

On Thu, 16 Oct 2008 12:58:35 -0700, "$Bill" wrote:

If you dig around at the att.net site, you'll eventually come to this page

formatting link
which contains settings for the mail and news servers for the various ATT domains, which includes U-Verse.

Since they do provide news server settings, I'm going to assume they have at least limited Usenet access. No alt.binaries.* from what I understand, but the rest should be there.

(Please forgive the formatting, this is a straight copy/paste for the most part, email servers first, followed by news servers.)

================================================================= Mail Server (POP, SMTP) Settings Your Email Address: Incoming (POP) Outgoing (SMTP) snipped-for-privacy@ameritech.net pop.att.yahoo.com smtp.att.yahoo.com snipped-for-privacy@att.net pop.att.yahoo.com smtp.att.yahoo.com snipped-for-privacy@att.net (non Yahoo) fpostoffice.isp.att.net fmailhost.isp.att.net snipped-for-privacy@bellsouth.net* mail.bellsouth.net mail.bellsouth.net snipped-for-privacy@flash.net pop.att.yahoo.com smtp.att.yahoo.com snipped-for-privacy@nvbell.net pop.att.yahoo.com smtp.att.yahoo.com snipped-for-privacy@pacbell.net pop.att.yahoo.com smtp.att.yahoo.com snipped-for-privacy@prodigy.net pop.att.yahoo.com smtp.att.yahoo.com snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net pop.att.yahoo.com smtp.att.yahoo.com snipped-for-privacy@snet.net pop.att.yahoo.com smtp.att.yahoo.com snipped-for-privacy@swbell.net pop.att.yahoo.com smtp.att.yahoo.com snipped-for-privacy@wans.net pop.att.yahoo.com smtp.att.yahoo.com

Incoming mail server: POP3 Outgoing mail server: Outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication Incoming mail port #: 995, secure connection (SSL) checked Outgoing mail port #: 465, secure connection (SSL) checked

*SSL is not required for the configuration of mail.bellsouth.net settings

News Server (NNTP) Settings

Pacific Bell/Nevada Bell Regions Southwestern Bell Region Ameritech Region BellSouth Region SNET Region Prodigy

Pacific Bell/Nevada Bell Regions: Area NNTP Server NNTP UserID Legacy members San Francisco news.sf.sbcglobal.net snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net snipped-for-privacy@pacbell.net Los Angeles news.la.sbcglobal.net snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net snipped-for-privacy@pacbell.net Nevada Bell news.sf.sbcglobal.net snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net snipped-for-privacy@nvbell.net

Return to News Server (NNTP) Settings

Southwestern Bell Region: Area NNTP Server NNTP UserID Legacy members Dallas news.dallas.sbcglobal.net snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net snipped-for-privacy@swbell.net Houston news.houston.sbcglobal.net snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net snipped-for-privacy@swbell.net Kansas City news.kc.sbcglobal.net snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net snipped-for-privacy@swbell.net

Ameritech Region: Area NNTP Server NNTP UserID Legacy members Akron, OH news.akr.sbcglobal.net snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net snipped-for-privacy@ameritech.net Appleton, WI news.app.sbcglobal.net snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net snipped-for-privacy@ameritech.net Champaign, IL news.cha.sbcglobal.net snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net snipped-for-privacy@ameritech.net Chicago, IL news.chi.sbcglobal.net snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net snipped-for-privacy@ameritech.net Cleveland, OH news.cle.sbcglobal.net snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net snipped-for-privacy@ameritech.net Columbus, OH news.col.sbcglobal.net snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net snipped-for-privacy@ameritech.net Dayton, OH news.day.sbcglobal.net snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net snipped-for-privacy@ameritech.net Detroit, MI news.det.sbcglobal.net snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net snipped-for-privacy@ameritech.net Grand Rapids/ Kalamazoo, MI news.kal.sbcglobal.net snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net snipped-for-privacy@ameritech.net Indianapolis, IN news.ind.sbcglobal.net snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net snipped-for-privacy@ameritech.net Lansing, MI news.lan.sbcglobal.net snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net snipped-for-privacy@ameritech.net Milwaukee, WI news.mil.sbcglobal.net snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net snipped-for-privacy@ameritech.net Peoria, IL news.peo.sbcglobal.net snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net snipped-for-privacy@ameritech.net Rockford, IL news.roc.sbcglobal.net snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net snipped-for-privacy@ameritech.net Saginaw, MI news.sgn.sbcglobal.net snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net snipped-for-privacy@ameritech.net Springfield, IL news.spf.sbcglobal.net snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net snipped-for-privacy@ameritech.net Toledo, OH news.tol.sbcglobal.net snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net snipped-for-privacy@ameritech.net Youngstown, OH news.ynt.sbcglobal.net snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net snipped-for-privacy@ameritech.net

BellSouth Region: Area NNTP Server NNTP UserID Legacy members Southeast: AL, FL, GA, KY, LA, MS, NC, SC, TN news.snet.sbcglobal.net, news.dallas.sbcglobal.net, news.sf.sbcglobal.net news.chi.sbcglobal.net snipped-for-privacy@att.net snipped-for-privacy@att.net Southeast: AL, FL, GA, KY, LA, MS, NC, SC, TN newsgroups.bellsouth.net snipped-for-privacy@bellsouth.net snipped-for-privacy@bellsouth.net

SNET Region: Area NNTP Server NNTP UserID Legacy members Connecticut news.snet.sbcglobal.net snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net snipped-for-privacy@snet.net

Prodigy: Area NNTP Server NNTP UserID Legacy members Prodigy news.prodigy.net snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net snipped-for-privacy@prodigy.net wans.net news.prodigy.net snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net snipped-for-privacy@wans.net flash.net news.prodigy.net snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net snipped-for-privacy@flash.net

Reply to
Bill M.

I can just picture myself signing up and they drop it a week later. :)

Reply to
$Bill

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.