Comcast, Cannot SEND messages

I can get messages in Outlook Express and for that matter also in Outlook2000, but I cannot Send messages.

I talked to Comcast and they found no error on the account setup.

BTW I have also used Comcast hi speed internet for years and have both used OE and Outlook 2000.

Now when I try to send I get this:

An unknown error has occurred. Subject 'versuch', Account: 'mail.comcast.net', Server: 'smtp.comcast.net', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800CCC0B

I have looked in the Knowledgebase of Microsoft and still have the problem.

I use Windows xp. SP2, all updates, XP Firewall, and NOD32 Virus checker. All of these I have used for months before without the slightest trouble.

Even disabling the Firewall and Virus checker (hated to try it even) did not solve Outgoing messages.

Internet is OK, Newsgroups too.

Reply to
Ritter197
Loading thread data ...

Well, I called them twice. They said as long as it sends and receives via their OWN Comcast mail, all is ok at their end. It proves it . So what else can I say at such time?

Reply to
Ritter197

From the error message it appears that you have SSL set. Per the Comcast instructions you should be using port 465 for SMTP, not port 25 (and port 995 for POP3). See FAQS: EMAIL: OUTLOOK EXPRESS "How to configure OUTLOOK EXPRESS to send and receive while traveling"

I have observed that for the past few days the SMTP servers (at least in my area) have been very slow.

-- Jim

Reply to
Jim

See

formatting link

Also, enabling SSL has been known to fix a lot of problems.

mady

Reply to
mady

Reply to
f/f george

Reply to
f/f george

----^^^^^^^^^^^**^^**

Actually, it doesn't look set from where I am reading this...

Reply to
NormanM

Not having SSL enabled when the server is expecting it will cause a problem. Enabling SSL for a server which isn't expecting will also cause a problem. You need to know whether your server requires it, or not.

Reply to
NormanM

Norman

Please explain more fully. I do not understand . Thanks

Reply to
Ritter197

What is SSL and How do I enable it? Thanks in advance.

Reply to
Ritter197

Reply to
Ritter197

In Comcast's case, their servers not only support SSL but tend to have a lot less problems when it's enabled in one's email client.

Original poster: The instructions for enabling SSL for Comcast can be found in the FAQs under the heading "Configuring Outlook/whatever for travelling". For Outlook Express, see

formatting link
starting with #4.

mady

Reply to
mady

One of the 26 million results returned on a Google search for SSL revealed a definitive answer at this link. Good luck.

formatting link

Reply to
Art Jackson

Mady:

Thanks for the answer and I see that you also use Comcast.net.

I went to the site which you gave and see everything for OE but I cannot see the site there for Outlook. I must be getting blind, but I thought I looked very carefully.

I use Outlook 200 for Mail and OE 6.x for newsgroups.

Does it matter which SSL I need to enable?

Can you kindly lead me to the site there on Comcast for Outlook?

I thank you in advance

formatting link
, starting with #4.

Reply to
Ritter197

Go to the link below and scroll down to your email program listing, which gives you the configuration for Comcast. Good luck.

formatting link

Reply to
Art Jackson

Bruce, I understand and agree with you re Comcast help on phone. Poor.

What is that last paragraph you wrote? I do not understand it. What does it mean?

Reply to
Ritter197

"Ritter197" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

problems since 12/26/04. They are little better now. I use OExpress on an XPHome, SP2 machine.

My problem is that the smtp server keeps timing out; I have it set for 60 seconds. I hit the wait button, and it times out again. Sometimes it will take three retries to send (that's 4 minutes).

Calls to comcast tell me the same thing they tell you. If you can send from the web based interface, they tell me to contact Microsoft because it's a problem with OExperss, even though the problem exists on three accounts, all on different machines with different OSs.

The phone help doesn't know what's up.

The field guys are pretty good. They will eventually find and fix it.

I wonder if it has anything to do with preparations done for the simultaneous dropping of the comcast news server and elimination of attbi mail forwarding as of 12/31/04.

All you can do is wait.

Bruce

Reply to
Bruce

Not a problem; if you know what the servers can handle. But that doesn't alter what I said in the least.

Reply to
NormanM

Thanks for posting. I guess it does nothing to or for me since I have been with Comcast since the very beginning.

But thanks for clearing this up.

Reply to
Ritter197

"Ritter197" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

Here's the mailer they sent explaining their changes to newsgroups and mail forwarding.

Dear Comcast High-Speed Internet Customer,

As you may recall, we last notified you in November that to make your e- mail transition from ATTBI.com to Comcast.net as seamless as possible, we were providing mail forwarding for e-mails sent to your former ATTBI.com e-mail address. This is another reminder that the time period for this mail forwarding to your Comast.net account expires December 31, 2004

Below are the changes that will be made to your former ATTBI.com services, as we have previously communicated to you:

Conclusion of ATTBI.com e-mail forwarding After December 31st, any e-mails addressed to your former ATTBI.com e- mail address will no longer be forwarded to your Comcast.net address. As a result, senders will receive an error message indicating that their e- mail is undeliverable when using your ATTBI.com e-mail address. Please take the time to ensure that all of your e-mail contacts have been notified of your current Comcast.net e-mail address. What Do I need to Do? You do not need to take any action as these changes will automatically be applied to your service on December 31, 2004. If you have not done so already, you should alert your contacts to your new Comcast.net address.

Transition from netnews.comcast.net to the Comcast newsgroups, provided by Giganews After December 31st, all netnews users will be transitioned to the current Comcast newsgroup service provided by Giganews. In addition, starting January 1, 2005, we will be doubling the current monthly Giganews download limit to 2 GB (headers will not be included in these new limits). What Do I need to Do? Click here to start using the Comcast newsgroup service today.

If you have any questions about these changes, please contact a Comcast technical support representative by sending us an e-mail or visiting the Comcast Help Forums.

Thank you,

Comcast High-Speed Internet

Reply to
Bruce

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.