ALL incoming ports now BLOCKED on Comcast

X-No-Archive: Yes

in

However, I have started using an open Socks 5 proxy server. They would know I was going to the Socks server, but what I did beyond that, would not be know. It is one of a number of public proxies run by a group known as PlanetLab. It is the same one in England I use to cirucmvent the restrictions that radio stations in Britain have been forced to imopose restricting listenership to IP addresses in Brtain. It looks to the radio stations like I am coming from Britain, so I get the streams, even though I am not supposed to be able to receive them in America. Capital FM Radio, in London, has no idea that there is someone in America is listening to their online broadcasts, on a regular basis, because to their servers and logs, it looks like I am connecting to their site fron within the UK. I have done that to evade geographic restrictions for streaming of Olympic events for the 1998, 2000,

2002, 2004, and 2006 Olympics. By using the PlanetLab proxies in England, I was able to listen to the Eurosport stream, though it was only supposed to be heard by people at European IP addresses. Eurosport had no idea that anyone from America was connecting to their servers during the period of "Olympic restrictions", on their broadcast. And besides, as I have already said, it appears to have been a technical glitch, as I was suddenly able to connect, today, without having to go through the proxy. But if they ever did decide to block it on a permenent basis, I could still connect with SocksCap and an open Socks proxy server. SocksCap can handle the Studio 365 live software (not all software works with SocksCap). But as for people on Cox, who appears to be blocking access to some Live365 streams, you can circumvent that, as one listener did, but using an open proxy outside the Cox network. This one listener did so, and had problems connecting to my show, even though Cox in Las Vegas apparently was trying to block it (and a few other Live 365 streams as well). Cox would know she went to a proxy, but would have no idea what where she went beyond that proxy server.
Reply to
Charles Newman
Loading thread data ...

If he really wants to run a radio station on Live 365, without being blocked or detected, he should try Tor, which is a new online privacy and security tooll that uses military grade encryption that is actually used by the United States Armed Forces. Anything sent through Tor cannot be cracked, sniffed, or analised. As one person once said "The book would be open, but the pages would all be in an unreadable language". The United States Government is using it in the War on Terror, so America's enemies cannot intercept any sensitive communications, the security is THAT good. All levels of government in the United States are using Tor to secure their communications, that is how good it is.

Reply to
chilly8

Comcast does not really care WHAT you're serving, just how much bandwidth you are consuming; they can turn him off for talking too much about puppies.

..and from my reading, it appears that Tor uses SSL key generation for encryption, so while it is very good, it certainly isn't "military grade".

--Gene

Reply to
Gene S. Berkowitz

X-No-Archive: Yes

It turns out the problem was not Comcast, this time. I just read on the special broadcaster website that one of their servers was acting flaky, and some broadcasters and listeners could not connect. It is a relief to know that the problem was not with Comcast.

Reply to
Charles Newman

Yeah. Yelling, screaming, kicking, cussing, blaming the universe for being unfair. Oh, wait. He did do that.

Reply to
DLR

Whew! Good thing you didn't jump the gun.

Reply to
BR

"Charles Newman" wrote in message news:7budnZQDKaJDl53YnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com...

One thing about incoming ports blocked is that I actually had to turn my firewall off to use Skype telephony service, or to watch sports on any of the P2P TV services from China. Those services would work on Comcast, but not without turning my firewall off. With DSL, that I just switched over to, I dont have to do that. The combination of incoming ports blocked on Comcast, and my firewall, was causing a number of services not to work right. With DSL, I can watch US open tennis on the 732K Eurosport feed, from TVAnts, without all the annoying rebuffering, and without having to turn off my firewall, like I did with Comcast, to get TVAnts, and services like it, to work on Comcast.

Reply to
Charles Newman

Strange. So far today my router, which is on the customer side of the Comcast cable modem, has logged (and rejected) 544 connect attempts. More than 90% of those are for ports 1026, 1027, or 1028. The rest are scattered among well-known service ports.

Maybe Comcast is just blocking incoming traffic to /your/ IP address

Reply to
Tom Stiller

Oops! I didn't notice I was responding to a year old post. Sorry.

Reply to
Tom Stiller

LOL Charles is having issues with his new ISP.

Reply to
Bill M.

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.