ALL incoming ports now BLOCKED on Comcast

X-No-Archive: Yes

Comcast is now blocking ALL incoming traffic into your PC, so anything even thinking of running a server of any kind had better forget it. If you were running any kind of online radio station, as I was, a good alternative that works, and starting at a reasonable price is Live 365, at

formatting link
you are a Comcast subscriber attempting to run your own streaming audio and want an alternative, Live365 is the way to go. Packages that include the ability to do live streaming from your computer start at $20 monthly. I have been trying to start my own online talk show and discovered that Comcast is now blocking all incoming traffic to customer computers. I did that by connecting back to my setup by using an open proxy server, and disovered that all incoming traffic is now blocked.

Reply to
Charles Newman
Loading thread data ...

Then how is it that I still see hundreds of probes per day for ports like 1026, 1027, 1028, not to mention the occasional probe for FTP, HTTP and SSH ports?

Reply to
Tom Stiller

Well, here in Sacramento, it is 100 percent blocked. I tested that by attempting to connect back in to the server I had, by using an open relay in Latvia. The connection did not work, but when I changed the connection settings to go without the proxy, the connection worked. It is 100 percent blocked, here in Sacramento.

Reply to
Charles Newman

Maybe they're being blocked at Comcast's main connection(s) to the Internet and not within the Comcast cloud itself? In that case, the probes would be coming from other Comcast connection machines?? Just a possibility.

Patrick ========= For LAN/WAN Protocol Analysis, check out PacketView Pro! ========= Patrick Klos Email: snipped-for-privacy@klos.com Klos Technologies, Inc. Web:

formatting link

Reply to
Patrick Klos

A possibility, but not a fact. Checks of originating IP addresses shows them to come from all over the world: US, China, Bulgaria, France, etc.

Reply to
Tom Stiller

If that were true, you wouldn't be able to do anything. You wouldn't be able to browse. You wouldn't be able to get any e-mail. You wouldn't be able to read newsgroups. You couldn't do anything with your connection if all incoming traffic was blocked.

What's the point of an Internet connection that allows no incoming traffic?

Reply to
Warren

Why not?

The call center would be over-whelmed....

-- Oren

"Well, it doesn't happen all the time, but when it happens, it happens constantly."

Reply to
Oren

I just tried and was able to connect to my mother-in-law's router web interface via 8080. I'm on a Bellsouth wholesaled DSL backbone in NC connecting to her in MD.

Reply to
DLR

If this isn't spam for live365.com, maybe they detected you were streamming a radio station and started blocking all the ports to YOUR computer. Just a thought...

Reply to
Eric

I believe this is spam, as you first thought. I have Comcast and my ports are not blocked, just filtered by me.

Reply to
f/fgeorge

Now those MOTHER FUCKERS are blocking outgoing access to myLive365 broadcast account. If I try to connect directly, Studio365 Live will tell me it cannot connect, but if I connect through an open Socks 5 proxy server, I get through with no problem. Unfortunately Comcast is the ONLY option I have for Internet where I live. I cannot use dial-up, because the computers I have did not even COME with modems and most computers today do not come with modems anymore, and the computer stores around here do not CARRY modems in stock anymore. I cannot get DSL, becuase of the loop distance, unless I want to pay in excess of $100 plus a month for business-level service, so I am just stuck with having to use someone's misconfigured Socks 5 proxy server when I want to broadcast. Geez, this really ROYALLY PISSES ME

**OFF**!!! As it is, I have to cut the bitrate down to 32K, from 64K, to guarantee that I can broadcast with most Socks proxy servers out there.
Reply to
Charles Newman

Get a Business account if you want to broadcast. You're not supposed to be doing that on a Residential account anyway. I'm sure your neighbors appreciate Comcast's efforts to block you so that they have a chance to enjoy their service, too. By the way, since you have access to the Internet, I assume you have access to online stores such a Newegg. They have truckloads of modems at low prices, so go ahead and switch to dial-up if that meets your needs better.

Reply to
Bill M.

It appears that it just might have been a DNS problem, beucase I can suddenly connect again. Why does Comcast have so many problems with their DNS servers?

Reply to
Charles Newman

One other thing to note is there are are other Comcast customers doing internet radio sucking down a lot more bandwidth than me. One well-konw right wing online talk show host has several cable modems tied together in his apartment in New Jersey, and has a total of 26 megabits downstream and 7 megabits upstream. He streams directly from his cable modem, gobbling down as much as 2 megabits at a time of outgoing feed when his station is on the air, and Comcast, in New Jersey, does not seem to have a problem with hm doing this. And on a residential account this guy is gobbling down

2 megabits average, sometimes as much as 5 megabits at a time of upstream feed, when his station is on the air. He once admitted that quite some time ago on his web site that he does that. When he gets denial of service attacks, which he often does, his outgoing feed reaches the full 7 megabits, and Comcast never says anything to him. Not only that, the guys station runs 24 hours a day, streaming music when none of the talk shows are on, so he streaming through his outgoing cable modem feed 24 hours a day, and Comcast does not seem to have any problems with him doing this.
Reply to
Charles Newman

They do not, they change them periodically to prevent people from doing things they should not be doing. They figure if it is too hard people will move up to the Business level and get a static ip address and everything else that makes life sooo much easier.

Reply to
f/fgeorge

So you are saying that because he does it must be okay for you to do it? If he also robs banks to make ends meet, is that okay for you to do to? Just because he does it, does not make it legal! People drive

90 miles an hour down the hiway,that is not legal either, but peope do it all the time. Do what you wish to do, just don't tell the cops when you get busted, that you did it because he did it.
Reply to
f/fgeorge

Well, what I am doing is paying Live 365 $24.95 per month to connect over a VoIP link to their servers, and then people connect to the Live 365 servers to listen. The connection on my end takes no more bandwidth that was any other VoIP connection, such as Skype, would take. I use their Live Studio software, which creates a VoIP link to Live 365, and then the listeners connect to there, so I am taking a lot less bandwidth than you might think. I take up no more bandwidth than I would for Skype, Vonage, or any VoIP service. I connect to Live365 at 32K, and then the listeners connect to Live365. The Live365 servers are merely a "middle man", as it were, acting as a relay between my computer and my listeners, and I am paying $26.95 per month for the privelege of being able to broadcast. I connect to Live365, and Live365 takes all the listener connections.

Reply to
Charles Newman

Yes, but you AREN'T paying Comcast for the right to operate a server, and a continuous, one-way VOIP connection certainly looks like one.

"Facilities Allocation: Comcast reserves the right to determine, in its discretion, and on an ongoing basis, the nature and extent of its facilities allocated to support the Service, including, but not limited to, the amount of bandwidth to be utilized and delivered in conjunction with the Service."

"Prohibited Uses of the Service: ...the Service is for personal and non- commercial use only and you agree not to use the Service for operation as an Internet service provider, a server site for ftp, telnet, rlogin, e-mail hosting, "web hosting" or other similar applications, for any business enterprise, or as an end-point on a non-Comcast local area network or wide area network."

--Comcast TOS,

formatting link

Reply to
Gene S. Berkowitz

I am not saying what you are doing is anything more than anyone else is doing, I am saying that Comcast doesn't like what you are doing. You can take that or leave it, but it is what Comcast thinks. And as far as Skype, that maybe the next thing Comcast goes after. Bandwidth is bandwidth to them, it makes no difference how it is used, just that some use alot more than others. It is a Business decision, nothing personal.

Reply to
f/fgeorge

Well, like I said, it appears to have been just a technical glitch, as I can suddenly connect to the Live 365 server again. I just finished another edition of my show, and had no problems today.

As for blocking, that can be evaded using an open Socks 5 proxy server. They would know you went to the Socks server, but they would not know where you went beyond that server. Its just like Cox appears to be blocking people from listening to some Live 365 broadcasts. I had a caller into my show the other day who could not connect directly from her Cox cable modem service, but when she went through an open Socks proxy, she was able to listen to my show with no problem. This was on Cox in the Las Vegas area, she had problems connecting. Cox would know she went to an open Socks 5 proxy server, but Cox would not know what she did beyond that server.

>
Reply to
Charles Newman

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.