Great Firewall/Australia censorship proposal

X-No-Archive: Yes

I was reading a debate about Australia's proposed censorship regime, and VPN tunnels. And one guy mentioned there letting his brother do a VPN into his computer in Sydney to bypass Chinese censorship and the Chinese authorites have no CLUE as they what is happening. His brother is making an encrypted connection into his ADSL connected computer in Sydney, and there is no POSSIBLE way for the Chinese auhorities to know what you are up to. He allows his brother to log on to his broadband connection, via VPN, back home in Sydney, and the Chinese authorities have no CLUE what is going on. They guy's brother, travelling right now in China, browses wherever he wants, and there is no possible way for the Chinese authorities to find out WHAT he is up to, becuase of the encrypted connection outbound to Australia.

Reply to
Chilly8
Loading thread data ...

It might be harder to block VPN, but not entirely impossible.

What is happen> X-No-Archive: Yes

Reply to
pg

Except you are WRONG, AGAIN. A VPN Tunnel is easier to spot than anything else and stands out like a flare on a dark night.

Reply to
Leythos

But is encrypted and they cannot read what is going on. During the Myanmar cyclone a few months ago, there were a few people, includinng, reporting from the disaster zone, illegally. 99.9 percent of us were never caught, because we used VPN connections to keep the ruling from finding out. Only one was caught, becuase he was not smart enough to use VPN. The rest of us that used VPN were able to report without getting caught. Sure, a VPN tunnel, like any connection, is easy to spot, but because the connection is encrypted, they cannot find out what you are up to.

There would have been no POSSIBLE way for the ruling military Junta to know WHAT I was doing. All they would know is that I was making a VPN connection to the U.S.-based servers for my Australian online radio station, but would not know what I was up to.

Reply to
Chilly8

Why are you such a dumbass?

It doesn't matter what is happening in the Tunnel, all that matters is that it's easy to detect, easy to see the source and destination points, easy to catch the offender.

Reply to
Leythos

"Chilly8" wrote in news:ggvtga$gj9$ snipped-for-privacy@aioe.org:

Anyone who ends up behind a "national" firewall need only go here:

formatting link
UltraSurf will blow right through it, with ZERO visibility.

DErio

Reply to
Derio

Sound like just what is needed for people to listen to our online radio station from behind work firewalls. Since I figured out how to make StatCounter work with the Live 365 account, I get a clearer picture of where connections are coming from, and I am seeing connections from anonymity services all over the place, especially when we switched to Christmas music (when not doing live programming).

I will have to recommend that on the web site. It appears you have come up with a product that even "secure" firewalls, like Leythos touts, would not detect it, and it would allow even more people to be able to listen to us from work.

Reply to
Chilly8

And, again, it's easy to spot in a firewall and would NOT work on a properly setup firewall/network.

Reply to
Leythos

Leythos wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@us.news.astraweb.com:

You don't know what you're talking about.

Reply to
Derio

*sigh*

Why don't you get a clue about how networking, firewalls and encryption actually work instead of making a fool of yourself here? We already have chilly-the-silly. We don't need another dimwit spreading the same bullshit.

cu

59cobalt
Reply to
Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers

You are right. If the connection is encrypted, they won't know what you are up to. I run an online radio station out of Australia, with my servers in the USA. Becuase I have a VPN server on it, I can use that when I go to countries like China that censor the Net. I can use Skype, when running my online radio talk show, and nobody will know I am doing it. China Telecom (the phone company in China) had Skype blocked some years ago, becuase it was depriving them of revenue for long distance calls. By using my VPN, I can get around that, and China Telecom will never know what I am up to.

Since I figured out how to get StatCounter to work with my Live 365 account, it has been recording connections from office networks at small and mid-sized businesses. With the exorbitant annual licensing costs that filtering vendors charge, the small and mid-sized really cannot afford the costs to filter, so many of these office networks are not filtered, so people at these companies have no filtering to have to circumvent. So many people at small and medium sized companies can still tune into Internet radio, becuase the cost of filtering can be prohibitive for small and medium sized companies.

It appears that some school districts are filtering their students, but their employees, to cut down on the per-seat cost of filtering. I wonder how they can filter one group of people, but not the other, all coming from the same router/firewall. This would seem something like an impossible task. The districts must have had to have a custom made solution for that, as there is NO filter or firewall on the market would allow a school district to filter student computers, but not employee computers.

Reply to
Chilly8

Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.in-ulm.de:

No kidding. I know very little about this stuff. I have trouble making two PC's talk to each other. But in what spotty knowledge I have even *I* know his claims are bull.

All it takes is a little (un)common sense and critical thinking skills.

Brian

Reply to
Skywise

Why do you continually miss the easiest aspects of this? They will know exactly what you are doing and encryption won't help you a bit. The process is very simple. It's easy to see that there is a constant stream of encrypted data from a particular IP. So the admin walks over to your desk to see what's going on (assuming he wants some exercise and doesn't just bring up the contents of your desktop and all the programs and services on your system remotely.) If the admin has a sense of humor he will cut your network cable, forcing you to go to your boss and explain what happened.

Is that really too difficult for you to understand? It is blindingly simple.

You have a completely false sense of your own cleverness. The mistake you are making is thinking that most employers actually care what their employees do. Most don't seem to, or are just too ignorant or cheap to do anything about it.

Reply to
Spender

LOL, notice I said it's easy to spot and that it won't work on a properly setup firewall/network. I did not say that the admins could tell what you are/were doing, only that it's easy to spot.

If you think I don't know what I'm talking about, why not explain why I'm wrong.

Reply to
Leythos

Brian, how do you suppose the traffic appears to a firewall?

How do you suppose you keep that traffic hidden to the firewall?

What makes you think you can access ANY outside site/connection on a properly secured network?

What makes you think you can use a PROXY site on any properly secured network?

Reply to
Leythos

NOTE: soc.culture.china removed from my reply. Not a related group.

Engage that 2nd brain cell. Does it really matter that you are encrypting your data for someone whose resources you are using from blocking that data? No. Do they need to know what is the data to block it? No. They can get the same software that you can. They can trace which SSL proxies are used to encrypt that data traffic. Once they have the IP addresses, poof, they get blocked. Never been banned from a forum, have you? Such abusers then attempt to use anonymous proxies which then get banned, too. Go read up on WebSense, censoring software and service used by many corporations to regulate their own employees using the company's resources. Anonymous proxies are probably another category on which you can block the proxies, of course that being after already detecting whether or not you are using a VPN connect and deciding whether or not to allow you such a connect.

Since you're using their resources, they could simply and eventually ban VPN connects unless you use their cert (so they can decrypt) with their proxy and perhaps only with a permit and any other VPN connects are rejected.

The suggested site doesn't do anything new. It's an old trick, it's easily detected. It's easily blocked. Why do you think that the site never divulges just how they purport to secure your traffic? Because it would become obvious that it's just another SSL anonymizing proxy selector. Ooooh. The censor can get the same software to obtain a list of the same proxies, and then ban them.

Reply to
VanguardLH

Leythos wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@us.news.astraweb.com:

The details matter not.

Traffic is flowing. That's all that matters. Even if it is encrypted so one cannot see what it is, the very fact that it is there is enough to know. In fact, being encrypted just makes it all the more suspicious.

As I've mentioned before in this group, go look up the concept of traffic analysis as it applies to cryptography. The very fact of information moving between two points can be useful enough from an intelligenc epoint of view even if you do not know what the message itself is.

It WILL get someone's attention.

Brian

Reply to
Skywise

Well, as far as WebSense, and major filter software goes, I have that taken care of. My firewall has been configurd to block all incoming traffic. The filtering companies cannot crawl my site, and classify it. That keeps my website out of the filtering lists of the major software vendors, so people on most workplaces don't have to resort to cicrumventing the firewall to access the web site. Now that actual radio stream, that's anothe rmatter, becuase it comes through Live 365, instead of my server. But I do have a proxy that listeners can use, that, just like the rest of the website, it not in any filtering vendors' lists, becuase I have the IP ranges of the filtering companies blocked, making it look like my web site is not there, becuase their web crawlers are unable to access and categorise our site.

And since doing that, our listenership has gone SKY HIGH. There is a lot of more listening coming from schools now, based on what StatCounter is telling me. Since Live

365 stations have to launch through the web site, I figured out where to put the StatCounter code in the Broadcaster Comments section on the station page, so that whenever someone goes there to launch the broadcast, the code is executed, and StatCounter records that information where I then log in and examine the logs.

From this I do see a lot of people listening from public agencies, such as schools, government offices, and the like. I see a lot of listening, particularly when Christmas music is running, at all kinds of private firms, such as doctor's offices of every type. People listen to us in real estate offices, accountingfirms, banks, law offices, consulting firms, graphic design firms, and much much more.

The Christmas music we are playing through Christmas has, so far, turned out to be very popular, and our listennership has gone sky high, especially in offices all over the globe.

They are tuning in, not only in the United States and Australia, but in Canada, Sweden, Britain, and Germany, and in large numbers. With our Christmas music programme, we have become a hit in offices all over the globe.

Reply to
Chilly8

Maybe you've misunderstood my post/questions - we're on the same side. Any reasonable firewall admin could spot this in a few seconds if it took that long.

Reply to
Leythos

WebSense is only one small path to blocking you.

Since your site has no valid reason to be connected too, it's blocked by default in our networks, period.

So, it doesn't matter if it's "Known" or if you have a "Proxy", it's blocked by DEFAULT, period, end of story.

Reply to
Leythos

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.