is Comcast filtering ports (ftp, telnet) ?

Hi, The Comcast technician came to install the cable modem for me today and when I got online I noticed that ftp and telnet are blocked. HTTP and SSH work fine. The tech. made a few calls to some engineers over at Comcast but those were useless. Most of them deal with the physical layer and not the IP. I canceled the order for now. Do you know if filtering these ports is part of Comcast policy or are they just filtering them by accident in my area (i live in Chevy Chase, MD)? The tech. support at Comcast has no clue what I'm complaining about.

Are there any commond tricks on how to get Comcast to fix this problem before I place the order again?

Is anybody else experiencing the same problem?

Thanks in advance, Slava.

Reply to
vr
Loading thread data ...

Inbound or outbound ?

Are you trying to run a telnet/FTP server on your local machine ? If so, do you have to use the standard port numbers ?

Reply to
$Bill

Comcast AFIK is not blocking either ftp or telnet at my location, CO or WA north of Seattle. Are you sure your OS is not blocking these protocols?

Q Q
Reply to
Quaoar

That's outgoing right ? He hasn't stated so far if it's incoming or outgoing.

Reply to
$Bill

Here in southern Michigan FTP is not blocked. I just FTP'd my old web page on another ISP to pick up everything I had stashed there without a problem.

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie

So, what else is new? ;-)

Reply to
James Knott

Yes, it's outgoing. If I can get a hold of a friend Friday, I'll be able to check incoming.

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie

It must be outgoing. I download from FTP servers all the time

Reply to
Greg

I seriously doubt that Comcast is blocking many ports; beyond port 25 outbound for select customers (who have been identified as sources of abuse through port 25). I would consider router, or software firewall to be a possible issue.

Reply to
NormanM

Comcast is an collection of very diverse systems set up by diverse sets of technical folks. You need a local answer, there is no general one.

Are you behind a NAT? FTP is a PITA behind a NAT!

gerry

Reply to
gerry

If it's incoming, he should be using ssh and scp, instead of telnet & ftp.

Reply to
James Knott

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.