4.1 Megabits

Comcast in Sacramento is now running at 4.1 megabits, based on my calculations.

Reply to
Charles Newman
Loading thread data ...

Why calculate? Connect to and measure your up/down speeds.

Reply to
Tom Stiller

I tried a couple of those and they're both much slower than what I've acheived in downloading a real file. One was about 1.8 Mb/s the other 1.6 Mb. A couple of weeks ago, I managed to download a 102 MB file in just over 2 minutes. My cable connection is rated at 5 Mb/s down and 800 K up.

Reply to
James Knott

Depending on the web server used, the file may have been compressed during transmission resulting in a smaller transmission stream than 102 MB

Reply to
Tom Stiller

When I saw how long it took I didn't believe it either. I tried again and the 2nd attempt wasn't much slower.

Reply to
James Knott

Trying to steal the thunder from Arnold, James Knott on Sun, 24 Oct 2004 12:24:26 -0400 spoke:

102x8/120= 6.8.

I really doubt your ISP is giving you 30% more bandwidth than you're paying for.

Reply to
Never anonymous Bud

Speed tests depend on the remote computer being able to pump out data as fast or faster than you can receive it. Ditto the path from them to you. So these speeds test will not work if your connection is faster than the remote computer output or the path to you. So even if in theory both are faster than your connection, if their load is too much, you'll not get a good test.

Reply to
David Ross

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.