10.6 megabits!!!!

One internet speed test from DSLReports say that my comcast service now has a download speed of

10.6 megabits. I guess Comcast want to outdo AT&T, now that their 6.0 meg DSL service is being rolled out to more areas.
Reply to
Charles Newman
Loading thread data ...

At some point, maybe already passed, this begins to mean very little. How many sites can deliver data that fast to more than one user?

Until they start selling video via IP it doesn't mater all that much.

And how many folks are going to throw away the router they bought last year and will only do 7 mbps? :) Not that I don't like the speed being faster than I can use.

What I'd really like to know is the uplink speed.

Reply to
DLR

Actually, in OTHER countries (think Asia), there are very large server farms that are able to deliver data at that speed, to just about everyone. The US seems to be very happy with the status quo (except for us geeks).

Reply to
Eric

The speed test said 361 kilobits. They appear to have throttled the outbound speed to support

10-plus megabit download speeds.
Reply to
Charles Newman

Be careful. Comcast has 'PowerBoost' in many areas. When there is capacity available, it will allow faster download speeds for a few megabytes before throttling you back to your rated speed.

Reply to
Andrew Rossmann

Concentrated population allows things that in the US just don't make sense. My brothers are a 250 mile drive in opposite directions from me here in Raleigh, NC. My wife's sisters live in Dallas and Bend OR. For any of us to hit up Google means some long hauls. Although they are going to give me a close link soon and the sister in OR will get one soon. Korea, Japan, Singapore, even AU has nice dense populations compared to us.

Reply to
DLR

Well, with AT&T 6 meg DSL servnice now available out to much longer loop lengths (I am aboiut 15000 feet loop length from the CO), that will create more competition in more areas, and Comcast has to stay on top of that.

Reply to
Charles Newman

I wish that was true. I have DSL as a backup to my Comcast (I work from home) and can only get 1500/384 (DSL Reports shows about 10.7Kft).

To be honest, I think speed is a bit overrated unless you download alot. In normal usage, it's not very noticeable. Plus, the VPN I connect to for work is capped at 768K at the source anyways.

Reply to
Andrew Rossmann

You have to remember when AT&T says "6 meg service" they still mean "Up To!" Read the fine print. Even with longer loop lengths you're still not gonna get 6 megs unless very close. The updated technology(RTs) just allows them to reach more people at beyond the old 18,000 foot barrier, not necessarily faster. Typically with Comcast you get the full advertised speed, although not guaranteed, unless you've got problems(or a not as well maintained area). DSL is still highly dependant on distance whereas cable is not.

Reply to
Jbob

snipped-for-privacy@backtalkradio.spammers.will.hung.by.the.neck.until.dead.backtalkra

Well, the AT&T guys came around trying to hawk

6 meg DSL service, and told me it is now available in my neighbourbood, and I am about 15,000 feet from the CO. I got this from a bona fide phone company employee.
Reply to
Charles Newman

If they were door-to-door sales people, they weren't AT&T employees. They were employees of an outsourcer hired to market the system, and the actual sales people that the outsourcer employees may or may not know the specifics for your pair of wires. Your neighborhood may bee about 15,000 feet from the CO, and the path that most of your neighbor's pairs take may be fairly direct, but your pair, for some obscure reason, may divert through another neighborhood before reaching the CO. The sales people in the field aren't likely to know about any exceptional issues. They're also paid by commission, and aren't so much concerned about whether your order will need to be canceled sometime in the future because they will have moved on.

So you may very well be able to get the 6MB service, but don't be fooled into thinking that you were told this by a "bona fide phone company employee."

Reply to
Warren

It's possible you are now being served by an RT, which effectively shortens your distance. The best way to verify if you are truely qualified is to go to at&t's web site and do a qualification check.

Reply to
Andrew Rossmann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.