Motorola SBG900 Configuration Problem

I just got a Motorola SBG900 Cable Modem Gateway. I don't have cable internet yet but I connected the modem to my pc via Ethernet and I cannot get to the configuration page. I just get the IE "Page Cannot Be Displayed" error. Motorola Tech Support stated that I should be able to configure the gateway even if there is no cable connected. Can anyone share any info on this...perhaps tech support is wrong and I first need to connect it to cable? I would rather not return it if there is nothing wrong with it.

Reply to
Saucer Man
Loading thread data ...

The modem gateway IP is something like 192.108.100.1 . I tried it with my IP set to 0.0.0.0 and also 10.1.1.1 and a mask of 255.0.0.0. I checked the cable type. It is ok.

Reply to
Saucer Man

When I hardcode the cable modem as the gateway and give myself an IP, it works. When I set it to dhcp, I cannot get an address from the sbg900 dhcp server. I get "the rpc server is unavailable" if i do an ipconfig /renew.

Reply to
Saucer Man

What is your modem's IP address? What is your PC's IP address and network mask?

I would also check if I have the right cable type, ie. straight vs crossed.

David

Reply to
David Chong

I found the problem. I had the DHCP service set to manual. Once I set it to automatic, it now works fine. Thanks.

Reply to
Saucer Man

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.