ActiveHome SW doesn't see Com Ports

I am running W2K and ActiveHome 1.42. I /think/ things were working about seven months ago when I added a module to the system. Today, I can not seem to connect to the CM11A interface. When I test communications on com port 2, the only choice, it fails. When I look at Preferences the com ports are grayed out.Looking at hardware and device managers SW shows that the ports are working. I suppose it could be that the CM11A is at fault but with the unit discontinued, the ports are still grayed out.

Is there any way to verify that the signal is stopping at the port or that the ports is indeed working? I'm thinking about the ActiveHome Pro but I'd like to fix this first.

Ideas anyone?

TIA,

Carl

Reply to
Carl Mankat
Loading thread data ...

I've had two CM11A's "die" like you describe. Finally gave up and got the new USB-based controller and SmartHome Manager. Not sure I like the software as well, but the CM11As just don't seem very reliable. Al

Reply to
Al Sorrell

Thanks, I am considering that route also.

Carl

Reply to
Carl Mankat

Get rid of ActiveHome and try Homeseer. No monthly charges like with SmartHome. They have a free 30 day trial. Homeseer.com

On my site their is a link to view my Homeseer page feel free to visit.

Reply to
Brian

I've had SmartHome for years and have never seen a monthly charge? Where does this come from??

I think the original poster is having comm problems. Yes, Smarthome 1.42 can cause problems.

I've since upgraded to the newer USB interface and Smarthome Pro but I dislike the fact that it does not work with the old CM11 (?) interface. I still rely on my good old CP290 and X10WC for control. The new activehome pro is the first app I've installed that came with built in pop up ads!

Reply to
Ralph

OK, here is where am at present.

1. I ordered and received a Smarthome 1132CU PowerLinc controller with Smarthome Manager Essential. It arrived and I installed it. I can set up a device, turn it on and off (a light in this case). 2. I suspect that I can not use the Smarthome screens to do anything automatically. If this is true, I am interested in learning what this NG thinks is a good choice and what makes it a good buy. I do not do too much with my system other than turn on and turn off X10 module. 3. If I need software to complete the package, could I still use my ActiveHome software? I suspect the answer is no. 4. I also am not clear when you say "SmartHome" exactly what you are referring to. Is it a software package?

I guess I should have done more exploration in the beginning but I guess it is better late than never. I know I do not want another ActiveHome package.

TIA,

Carl

Brian wrote:

Reply to
Carl Mankat

Rebooting my computer usually fixes the communication problem with my CM11A.

James

Regards,

James

"Honesty is not the best policy; it is merely the safest."

Note: To reply by email, Change "AT" to "@" in the reply to address.

................................................................. Posted via TITANnews - Uncensored Newsgroups Access >>>> at

formatting link

Reply to
James R. DeLoach

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.