Insteon ToggleLinc V2 Relay Doesn't Turn On As Expected

I have a set of X10 light switches being controlled by a plug in conroller (Model CM11A X10 2 Way Computer Interface). The program stored in the interface was configured using ActiveHome 1.42.

I replaced two X10 switches with ToggleLinc V2 Relay (2466SW) and configured then with the appropriate X10 code using a slimline X10 Slimline Switch(SS13A).

The lights turn on as expected directly at the switch, through the ActiveHome software. However, they do not turn on as scheduled in the program downloaded to the controller. Interestingly enough, they do turn off as scheduled. They just don't turn on as scheduled.

Also, two macros are configured which should allow me to turn the lights on or off from the slimline switch. Like the timer, I can't turn them om. But, if I've turned the lights on manually, they will turn off as scheduled.

Both macros; as well as, controlling the lights "manually" from ActiveHome work as expected. Nothing - meaning nothing was changed; except, replacing the X10 switches with the new V2 Relays.

I swapped out the two switches because I've become using standard non- dimmable compact flourescent bulbs at the locations controlled by the new relays.

I hope all of this makes sense. If not, ask whatever questions you need. I'll supply whatever information I can. And, I'm fairly technical.

Thanks for any assistance you can provide! Orlanzo

Reply to
Orlanzo Ross
Loading thread data ...

This reads like it might be a continuation of a long running problem with

*l>I have a set of X10 light switches being controlled by a plug in
Reply to
Dave Houston

And it also has nothing to do with the INSTEON protocol because the device is being used in X-10, not INSTEON mode.

....Marc Marc_F_Hult

formatting link

Reply to
Marc_F_Hult

Here's the thread where (I think) this was first mentioned.

formatting link
And here is the Smarthome statement that was quoted in it.

Note to Activehome and IBM Home Director users: We have found that ON, OFF, Bright& Dim commands sent by these units during timer and macro events employ signals which are not defined by the X10 protocol. The Switchlinc Fluorescent Lite was programmed to strictly follow the published spec. The result is that the Switchlinc Fluorescent Lite will ignore the commands from these two interfaces. Users of these systems are encouraged to use the Leviton (2206WI) or Home Pro Relay Wall Switch (2207ACWI) for your automation system.

I d>I have a set of X10 light switches being controlled by a plug in

Reply to
Dave Houston

Thanks for the information guys.

I moved to Insteon to avoid replacing my existing X10 switches, lamp modules, controller, and software. The main reasons which drove my decision to INSTEON were it provided a toggle relay for flourescet fixtures and its compatibility with existing X10 networks. The INSTEON gears appears solid and well made; however, the problem I'm encountering will force me to reinstall the older X10 switches....

Before taking action, are their other X10 and INSTEON compatible controllers that accept downloadable macros and timer events? What about control software? Most of what I've seen seems pretty expensive and not all software can download to a controller.

My setup is simple: 2 INSTEON V2 relays (to control outdoor flourescent lights), 2 X10 switches, 2 X10 lamp modules, and an X10 slimline switch to operate the lamps. Of course, I also use ActiveHome 1.42 and the CM11a X10 controller.

Thanks again for everyone's help. I spent a couple of hours each night in an attempt to resolve this problem before coming to this group! You guys have saved my sanity as I thought I'd misconfigured the devices.

Regards, Orlanzo

Reply to
Orlanzo Ross

While capable of both Insteon & X-10, since you've configured them for X-10 (necessary because the CM11A does not send Insteon), you are not getting any of the benefits of Insteon but are getting some of the drawbacks.

If you are planning to mix Insteon and X-10, you need to be aware that each Insteon device will reduce the X-10 signal level so that the more Insteon devices, the less reliable your X-10 devices will be.

The 2414S and 2414U PLC interfaces can send both Insteon and X-10 and you can download macros but I am not familiar with that aspect or with the software that you'll need. Some software can download macros and some cannot. I do not know if they can send X-10 macros or only Insteon. Some early models had trouble keeping time. That may have been fixed by now.

You might get better answers at

formatting link
is Smarhome's >Thanks for the information guys.

Reply to
Dave Houston

Well, apparently there's a hardware problem that prevents downloading to the

2414S or 2414U.

The Smarthome page for the 2414U with Mc "PowerLinc Controller is a standalone home automation interface for controlling lights, appliances, heating/air conditioning systems and alarm systems. This module has on-board memory so timers and macros can be downloaded without the need to leave your computer up and running.* This home automation interface uses a computer's Universal Serial Bus (USB) connection for downloading timer and event macros."

But much further down the page is this...

"*mControl software does not allow using this memory at this point in time."

See

formatting link

Orlanzo Ross wrote:

Reply to
Dave Houston

Dave,

Thaks again for your help. Let me feel you in (and anyone else who may see this thread) on what I did to partially resolve the timer related component of my issue.

When configuring a timer event in Active Home 1.42, you can enable a Multiple Transmissions option. The option is listed after clicking the Special toggle button.

This took care of my issue. The macro I created doesn't work. So, I can't use the button on my keypad, but that's not a major concern as this is for the outside lights in the front of the house. The timers are all I needed and the flourescents are working like a champ!

Thanks again everyone. Perhpas, this bit of knowledge will assist someone else.

Orlanzo

I tried it

Reply to
Orlanzo Ross

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.