Need help with Active Home macro

I have a closet light that the family is constantly forgetting to turn off. It is wired thru an X10 LM465 lamp module(G8).

I tried, and failed, to get Active Home 1.42 to automatically turn the light off 10 minutes after the on command. My thought was to have a macro trigger on the G8-on command and then send the G8-off command 10 minutes later. However AH will not accept both a macro and a device with the same house&unit code. I also couldn't figure out how to get one macro to trigger a different macro.

Anyone have a solution? Or am I attempting the impossible with AH? Is there a better controller program?

Oscar

Reply to
Occupant
Loading thread data ...

Thanks for the response Jack. This looks like it should do what I need. How do I access the VM code in AH?. All I can find is the visual interface with it's icons.

Oscar

Reply to
Occupant

ActiveHome Macros will accept house/unit codes without a physical module set to the same address. You can create a Virtual Wiring macro that has On or Off events for any house/unit address.

Here are a few lines illustrating the use of Virtual Macro at address N16 to control appliance modules on addresses P9 and P10. N16 can be switched Off or On using any X10 controller or timer events in ActiveHome. The delay times are H:MM, so 0:10 would be a valid delay time.

You could put a motion sensor in the closet set to a Virtual address and have the light turn off 10 minutes after motion detection.

N16 Off: 01d8 Delay 0:00, 1 element P9 Off Delay 2:30, 1 element P10 Off N16 On: 01e2 Delay 0:00, 1 element P9 On Delay 1:00, 1 element P10 On

Reply to
Jack Ak

I learned how to use ActiveHome by reading the Help items.

Help is at the right end of the tasks bar. Look in Contents and click on Concepts and Terms. You will see Virtual Wiring in the list.

Reply to
Jack Ak

I've already tried the help menu and all it shows is the macro generator which uses the graphic icons, nothing about writing code. I am using AH1.42(B2.0.70)v2.0, perhaps you are referring to a different version?

Reply to
Occupant

Musta scared him away with that one.

Reply to
Occupant

My ActiveHome Help-About shows version 1.4 (B2.0.70) ... Version 2.0 I have no idea why your installation doesn't include Help information.

Here is the text from the first Help screen under Contents F1 ...

This screen lists the main areas covered by ActiveHome Help. To see a listing of topics for a particular area, use the mouse to click on the area in which you are interested. Anywhere where you see text shown in green (on a color monitor) or lighter than normal text (on a grayscale screen) means that clicking on the text will display more information on that topic.

Getting Started Concepts and Terms Sample File Menu Commands

Tool Bar Glossary ActiveHome System Messages Product Information Troubleshooting Technical Support

Note: Some areas of Help show bit map pictures of ActiveHome screens. These look best when you are running at a resolution of 640 by

480. If you are running your computer monitor at a higher resolution (for example 1024 by 768) some bit maps may appear distorted. ....
Reply to
Jack Ak

topics for a particular area, use the mouse to

green (on a color monitor) or lighter than

more information on that topic.

best when you are running at a resolution of 640 by

1024 by 768) some bit maps may appear distorted.

Yes, I get the same initial help screen. And I think I have exhausted all drill down paths and found nothing relating to *coding* a macro. Lot's of details on the icon based "Macro Generator" though. Would you tell me what drill down path you used to access the help screen where you found the description of the coded example you initially provided in this thread?

I'm using the Windows version of AH. If you're using the MAC, Linux, or other version that may be why I'm having a difficult time finding the right help screen.

Thanks for persevering here.

Reply to
Occupant

Ah! My mistake, I thought you coded it. Sorry. I snagged memory.exe from the ftp site. Thanks for the pointer. Maybe what I need to do is upgrade to AH-Pro and the Smart(conditional) Macro Module. Thanks for you help.

Reply to
Occupant

The example I posted wasn't in a Help screen. Those lines were from one of my X10 ActiveHome configuration files. I have a utility program which will display ActiveHome User Files in human readable format. I think it may have been in the FTP directory at X10.com several years ago. It was named EEPROM or MEMORY.

I never "coded" a Macro. I use ActiveHome to create Macros which are downloaded to the CM11A and saved as an ActiveHome User File. The DOS file extension is .X10.

Reply to
Jack Ak

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.