X-10 Active Home?

Hi all,

I'm using Active Home for my X-10 interface and can't stand it. Is there better software for controlling my modules? My biggest complaints are that using 10 modules and the sunrise/sunset commands suck up all the resources and my resolution is such that I can only adjust the timings every 20 days. The other complaint is that macros won't work for multiple modules, just for a simple on command. I used to use X-10 powerhouse but that never interfaced with XP or some other problem which I can't quite recall, its been about 6 years since that worked.

Thanks,

Reply to
JJ
Loading thread data ...

Hello JJ.

When you talk about resources being used up, that may really be more a function of the controller's on-board memory rather than the software which downloads the macros. I have a CM11A and I too had to set my resolution lower than I wanted to get things to fit. I believe that the newer units (which are USB instead of RS-232) have more memory so that may help me out - perhaps you too?

I also don't quite understand what you are saying about macros not working for multiple modules. I have single macros which operate on multiple receiver modules (with different codes) turning on some and turning off others. These macros are downloaded into the CM11A and seem to work just fine.

For the record, I have been us> Hi all,

Reply to
David White

USB? yuk!

My transmitter/receiver is at my electrical panel in the garage and my computer is 100 feet away (by wire length)

Reply to
John J. Bengii

Reply to
David White

I am currently using 1.42. As far as the macros...I have tried to set up 3 modules to turn on at the same time and it never works. None of them will turn on. They work individually, but not on the macro. I thought I could free up resources if I used the macro, but every time I try, nothing turns on. I have backpedaled and tried just 2 modules, then 1 module but the macro does not work. Any suggestions? I mean it is simply drag and drop the module into the macro. I have tried standard and fast, but neither works.

Joe J.

>
Reply to
JJ

CM-11 macros suck! There are no conditionals. It takes an active computer to make it perform worth not getting up and manually turning on the lights. This means not setting anything into the CM-11 but using it as a constant peripheral.

Reply to
John J. Bengii

Reply to
David White

If you are downloading macros into a CM11A and NOT leaving it connected to your computer, I believe you MUST create FAST macros.

With my computer temporarily connected to my CM11A, I just created a test fast macro on C1. To it I added my indoor lights (B2) and porch lights (B5). No other changes. By default, the switch icons on the B2 and B5 are in the ON position and I leave them there. I right the macro icon and choose Test. After a brief delay, both B2 and B5 get turned-on.

Does this work for you?

What is supposed to "trigger" your macro once it is downloaded? Are you using a remote control, an AC line controller, or is it supposed to be triggered by a timer?

Reply to
David White

I use Zeus after dumping Active Home.

formatting link

Reply to
Gene

Reply to
David White

Reply to
David White

I use the timers inside the wireless remotes as a backup timer. The computer smarts then decides how long the lamps are needed on and shut them off sooner based on time of day.

On workdays and long weekends are always filtered out, save Good Friday (no formulae can be determined) I have a 300w halogen that acts as a dawn box. A self recursing routine brightens the lamp by 5% every 3 minutes to wake us up.

About a dozen wireless units operate various lights and tell the system somebody is home. This determines how often the furnace fan cycles the air.

Right now my grass growing algorithym is taking place for new seed. Every hour during daylight hours the seed gets 3 minutes of water on a sunny day and only 2 minute every two hours on a dull day.

My security alarm flashes lots of light in the house, and all outside lamps as well as the usual 30W siren.

Motion on a porch or deck flashes the deck light and rings a close inside X10 ding dong to alert me on the deck for visitors being exposed to my naked suntanning body.

Select times during the night and day if no motion has detected motion (house empty) for some time every unit inside and outside is turned off in case of random on codes or lazy humans.

I need the conditionals...LOL

Reply to
John J. Bengii

Yes, it will do that and has conditionals also.

Reply to
Gene

Snip

I drag the two modules I want into the fast macro. Once I'm done, that macro now appears as a "virtual wiring" macro module in lets say the living room. I give it time of day on/off settings just like a normal module, but it never triggers the two I've dragged in there. Am I supposed to turn the two lamp modules on before I create the macro? Thanks, Joe J.

Reply to
JJ

Of course I download it after I'm done.

Reply to
JJ

Let's focus on what happens in the Macro Generator window (File|New Fast Macro):

(a) I give the macro the code (B5) and a name (Test Macro).

(b) I drag my light (B2) and appliance (B3) modules onto the new macro.

(c) If I want to turn the modules ON, I make sure the switches on the module icons from (b) are turned ON.

(d) If I want the macro triggered when B5 is signaled ON, I turn the switch on the macro icon (a) is turned on. If it should be triggered when B5 is signaled OFF, if flip the switch.

Now I close the macro generator window and I see the virtual wiring icon called Test Macro. Then choose the menu Modules|Timer Settings... and see the select module window.

(e) Double click the line that says Test Macro and see the Timer Settings for Test Macro.

(f) First check that the checkbox (Store in interface) on the bottom left is indeed checked. It must be to ensure that the macro gets downloaded into the CM11A.

(g) I then set whatever day/date/time parameters, save the event, and download into the CM11A.

Now, when I press the B5 on my mini controller or click the "macro" area in the middle of the virtual wiring icon, the macro is triggered and both B2 and B3 go on. Does this work for you? If so, then the macro is indeed downloaded and is executing. If it fails to trigger on the timer, then there must be something wrong with the day/date/time parameters.

Reply to
David White

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.