ADSL modem compatiblity with Provider

Hi,

What do I look for to determine if an ADSL modem is supported by the ADSL provider? Do I just check if the DSL standard used by the ADSL provider is supported by the modem? Are there any other comptability issues that I should look for?

Thanks, ennui

Reply to
en.nui
Loading thread data ...

Reply to
Tony

I have had many modems and modem\\routers. My latest one is a Paradyne wireless modem\\router. It does Multimode, or you can specify from G.dmt to four kinds of ADSL2. I also does PPPoE, PPPoA (which is what I use), Static, DHCP, Bridge. Allows you to easily change VPI, VCI. Basically those are the main things to look for compatibility.

Reply to
G..

You have cross posted this to can.internet.highspeed, so there is a canadian response:

You want a DSL modem that is Alcatel technology, and preferably ADSL2 compatible. Once you have that, you are pretty much compatible with all DSL providers in Canada.

What you do need to configure when you buy the modem yourself are the ATM parameters VPI and VCI which are specifci to eahc telco.

Remember that in Canada, the telco provides the DSL carrier and ATM routing to the ISP. So if you are in Bell Canada territory, you will need to configure your modem to use the Bell Canadfa VPI/VCI values no matter which ISP you are with.

(The modem doesn't talk to your ISP, it talks to the TELCO, and it is the TELCO that talks to your ISP).

Reply to
JF Mezei

thanks for the information :)

Ennui

JF Mezei wrote:

Reply to
en.nui

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.