Wireless signal and draft n 2.0 questions

Hi there,

i have just bought an edimax draft 2.0 router and the PCI card for my pc. I have set it up today (and set it up right) and had it working fine for about an hour. Now however, it will not connect at all if i want to use n, and will only connect if using b or g. Could the reason for this be poor signal? I have read a few posts on here talking about n not being better for distance than g. Is this the case? What is the simplest way to improve signal strength (other than moving pc closer to router)? Also can any of you think of a reason that it would work well (and work really well at that) for an hour or so and then completely stop working?

Thanks

Simon

Reply to
simon.rothenberg
Loading thread data ...

Well, I could lookup the model numbers on the Edimax web site and try to guess what you own. However, I'm lazy and think it would be better if you would kindly disclose the model numbers and version numbers.

Did you check for updated firmware from the Edimax web pile?

Well, there is a setting that disabled MIMO. However, the same thing will happen if you're picking up interference at either end or if the signal is weak. Basically, you're not going to get a MIMO speed connection at greater than perhaps (my guess) about 25ft (using the stock antennas).

Yes.

Yes. I think I probably wrote those postings so I won't try to argue with myself. Maybe this article might offer a clue:

Note that the title is about "high throughput" and not long range.

The easiest is to trade some speed for distance. Half the distance for 4 times the speed. That's why MIMO only works at very limited ranges. If you want speed, you gotta give up range.

Playing with antennas and MIMO is a problem. You'll note that there are no aftermarket antenna manufacturers for MIMO. There are two types of MIMO. The spacial multiplexing variety usually has 2-3 antennas. You'll need 2-3 external antennas to derive any benefit from an external antenna. If you only install one antenna, you'll get

802.11g speeds. The other type is beam forming, which has the antenna built into the access point. There's no way to add an external antenna to that arrangement. I don't know which type of system your Edimax routers use (because I'm too lazy to guess the product numbers).

Only one reason? I can think of more than one. Someone running a microwave oven nearby. Cordless phone started being used. Another wireless network nearby just had an increase in activity. See list of possible culprits at:

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.