Help Needed!! draft n

should i upgrade my router to a one fitted with draft n? what is so good about it? Can i use it with my laptop and desktop which

i've brought a few years ago??

------------------------------------------------------------------------ View this thread:

formatting link

Reply to
pooncs
Loading thread data ...

pooncs hath wroth:

No. At least not until 802.11n is approved by the IEEE so that all the 802.11n hardware works together. There's no guarantee that whatever you buy can be upgraded to the approved standard.

It's faster than 802.11g at close range. It handles reflections somewhat better than 802.11g.

Probably. Draft-N is just yet another wireless "mode". All Draft-N and Pre-N wireless routers have an 802.11g compatibility mode. You don't get any improvement in performance in the 802.11g mode. It just acts like an ordinary 802.11g wireless router. Most Pre-N routers also have an 802.11b compatibility mode, which really slows down traffic in the Pre-N mode.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

thanks alot Jeff, then what is the difference between draft n v1.0 and v2.0? Have any idea when will draft n be approved by IEEE?

------------------------------------------------------------------------ View this thread:

formatting link

Reply to
pooncs

pooncs hath wroth:

Draft 2 allowed for optional channel bonding for more speed by hogging

70% of the available bandwidth. Fortunately, it's suppose to be disarmed if there are any incompatible 802.11b/g etc devices in the neighborhood. Draft 2 also raised the offical maximum speed from 100Mbits/sec to over 200Mbits/sec, mostly because most Draft 1 routers would do well over 100Mbits/sec on thruput benchmark test. There a bunch of minor tweaks which I don't wanna dig into.

See:

starting with "What in the standard".

Sure. See:

Approval by IEEE by when hell freezes over, or Sept 2008, whichever comes first.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.