Wireless N anyone

Do current antennas support the new wireless N standard? Can the full throughput of N be achieved through say a parabolic grid dish?

------------------------------------------------------------------------ View this thread:

formatting link

Reply to
Silver Iris
Loading thread data ...

Fraid you were lied to big time.. There are *NO* wireless N standards yet (won't be voted on and adopted until next year at the earliest), so there can't possibly be any 'new N standard'..... The generic (not the manufacturer specific ones that may or may not work when standards ARE adopted), use the same frequency range as B and G, and should work fine with anything that works with B or G now....

Reply to
Peter Pan

I havn't been lied to lol. What I should have said is the up and coming new N standard. I know its isn't relesaed yet and probably wont be for quite a while. Just considering the worthwhileness of buying current gear, IF the upcoming N standard isn't fully compatible.

But cheers for your reply

------------------------------------------------------------------------ View this thread:

formatting link

Reply to
Silver Iris

The gear itself is what may be iffy, cause each manufacturer has their own way of doing things, but your original q was about anennas, and no matter what ultimately wins, anything that uses 2.4 GHZ b/g stuff should also work with the new stuff also

Reply to
Peter Pan

A fact is, you only can get a antenna for 2.4GHz or 5GHz, i guess...

5GHz is not much used, by Microwave ovens or wireless video ?
Reply to
TheFug

Silver Iris hath wroth:

What standards? 802.11n is not predicted to be approved until about Sept 2008.

What we have this week is Pre-N Version 2 Draft Specification.

As for whether a current antenna can "support" the specification when passed, I don't know. The printed version of the draft specification weighs about 5kg and is growing every day. By 2008, the spec just might weigh enough to collapse the antenna. However, I wouldn't worry about it as heavy duty antennas will surely be available.

A better question would be whether the full thruput can ever be achieved or demonstrated. Tests of Pre-N hardware on SmallNetBuilder have been fairly disappointing. Also see:

If it's long range MIMO, you're going to have a big problem. With the beam forming flavor of MIMO, you can't screw with the antenna because the antenna is an integral part of the beam forming system. In other words, you can't substitute antennas, period.

With the Airgo flavor, the system relies on having multipath. The different antennas all must have slightly different end to end path lengths. You would need 3ea dish antennas, not one. They would also need to be slightly staggered and be very carefully positioned. I'm not sure about the timing, but as Pre-N v2 is NOT designed for long range, you might slam into some kind of timing limitation. Note that most MIMO infested products do NOT have removeable antennas.

Now that I've had my fun....

1. What are you trying to accomplish?
  2. What do you have to work with?
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cheers peter pretty much what i think

formatting link

Reply to
Silver Iris

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.