Wireless options with Dell Laptops

I have a friend that has a couple to three year old Dell laptop, it seems to just love hooking up to any wireless signal it can find. It sees wireless at my house, and can attach to them, and my own laptop with a PCMCIA wireless card can't even see.

She just purchased a new DELL Vostro 1700 laptop and I think she got the Dell fancy get all wireless card, wireless N. She had talked to the Dell sales people and they suggested that card. But now we find that her old laptop is much better at picking up wireless than the new by a wide margin.

Question, any experience here regarding the best wireless card to get when purchaseing a Dell laptop? I'm looking at getting a new one in a couple months and am trying to find which one seems to work best with wireless and I'm finding a large variation in performance. BTW, her old runs XP, her new Vista Ultimate.

Thanks

Reply to
someone
Loading thread data ...

On Tue, 19 Feb 2008 07:15:56 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@anywhere.com wrote in :

Better antenna, which matters much more than the wireless adapter.

If it's a PC Card, the antenna is the issue.

Go for a standard internal "g" mini PCI card on a laptop with good antennas in the LCD lid.

Reply to
John Navas

I recently purchased a Dell Inspiron laptop with a wireless card (Dell Wireless 1505 Wireless-N minicard). I had problems with this card and ultimately Dell resolved the problem by sending me (without charge) an upgrade to the Intel 4965AGN Wireless-N Mini-card. I may have some problems related to my wireless setup, but am pretty much convinced that it isn't related to the wireless card. I'd suggest that you just order the Intel wireless card (the upgrade charge is pretty small).

dave

Reply to
Dave Lee

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.