Shiny new WRT54GL

I have a lovely new WRT54GL. I want to play. Recommendations please for alternative firmware.

X-Wrt looks good?

Reply to
John Stubbings
Loading thread data ...

On Tue, 19 Feb 2008 21:46:07 -0000, "John Stubbings" wrote in :

"X-Wrt is a set of packages and patches to enhance the end user experience of OpenWrt."

Other major options include DD-WRT, HyperWRT Thibor, and Tomato.

Reply to
John Navas

Yep but which one has the most bells and whistles?

Reply to
John Stubbings

On Tue, 19 Feb 2008 22:28:10 -0000, "John Stubbings" wrote in :

Depends on what you want.

Reply to
John Navas

"John Stubbings" hath wroth:

v1.0 or 1.1? There's a difference.

DD-WRT. See:

Keep the TX power output down to no more than 150mw. 250mw has been known to smoke the power amplifier. I use 50mw.

The basic feature set:

Complex feature tutorials:

One of mine (in my palatial office):

Others are at businesses, homes, coffee shops, and various other hot spots.

Comments on the WRT54GL:

Install instructions:

I suggest using the TFTP procedure.

I suggest you use DD-WRT generic no-kaid v24 RC6.2 at: (v1.0)

(v1.1)

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Thanks, I keep reading I have to ask for a license from BrainSlayer. How do I do that. Its all a bit confusing. Is it open source or do I need a license the web site doesn't explain it well.

Reply to
John Stubbings

"John Stubbings" hath wroth:

You don't need a license for your own use. BrainSlayer has licenses available for ports to specific high end hardware, commerical applications, and custom builds under DD-WRT Pro and Gateworks products. Everything else is under GPL license:

and does not require a license. If you ended up here:

you're in the wrong area. Start here:

DD-WRT FAQ:

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

That's the wrong question to be asking. Rather, the question you should be asking yourself is which one has the most bells and whistles that you will actually use.

Reply to
DevilsPGD

DevilsPGD hath wroth:

DD-WRT and OpenWRT can install a wide and weird variety of Linux applications using ipkg:

List of packages:

Bells, whistles, or packages. All you need is RAM.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

It's not the wrong question. If you read my first post it says and I quote. 'I want to play'

I have no need at all for any features. I already have 2 other access points including a Cisco and more kit than I know what to do with.

I just read about this router and alternative firmwares, I can't remember where and decided to buy myself a birthday present.

It's a muck about kinda learning thing... just wanted to know what other people played around with.

Reply to
John Stubbings

DD-WRT is what we use, but I've had an itch to see how Tomato is as well.

I'm afraid it won't have one or two features I need, but they say it's very good at what it does.

steve

Reply to
seaweedsteve

Thanks Jeff, went with Openwrt in the end. Lots to play with.

Reply to
John Stubbings

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.