WAG54G Gateway drops the connection

I have a LinkSys WAG54G Wireless-G ADSL Gateway set up in our home network,. using our SWBell phone ADSL service. This home network consists of my desktop computer, a homebuilt with an AZUS P2B MB, running Win XP Professional SP2, a WinBook XL3 Laptop and my wife's kitchen computer, an HP desktop, with Windows XP Home addition.

My desktop computer has a LinkSys LNE 100TX EtherFast PCI Adapter and is cable connected to the ADSL Gateway. I manage the setup with this computer. I have this home network set up using WPA Pre-Shared Key Security Mode with TKIP Algorithms. We live in a quiet residential neighborhood and I doubt there is any intrusion attempts causing the problems.

This home network has been working very well for the past couple of years, but recently it has developed two problems. It drops the connection, briefly, very often. This can happen several times in a ten minute time span, and the dropped connections can last from a second or so to several seconds. The connection is then restored and things go along fine until the next time the connection is dropped.

The other problem...perhaps related...perhaps not...I can open the ADSL setup screen by keying the local IP address into my browser's address slot. This usually works promptly but sometimes I can not get the setup screen to open, or if it opens it may go catatonic and refuse to move on to another page.

I have tried shutting all the computers down, then re-booting my desktop computer. This hasn't produced any predictable results. Sometimes I can then log onto the Wireless Setup site, but most frequently I can not. If I go away and let the damned thing pout and balk a few hours then come back it will usually open with no problem.

Firmware Version 1.01.6 Should I update this? I'm afraid of messing the whole thing up if I try and it goes into a balk mood.

Reply to
Gordon
Loading thread data ...

On Mon, 19 Jun 2006 16:07:18 GMT, Gordon wrote in :

Probably interference. See Fast Fixes below.

Reply to
John Navas

John, these Fast Fixes all seem to address wireless problems, but don't shed much light on ADSL-to-the-server related problems. My household Wi-Fi network seems to be working quite well, but none of the three computers involved can secure a solid, reliable ADSL connection with my SWBell internet service provider.

SWBell sent a technician out yesterday afternoon. He checked the line for noise and verified that all was well between my house and the fiber optics box down the street half a block. He did find a large wasp nest in the junction box up on the phone line where my house service drop ties into the main line. He sprayed the nest, then cleared out all the residue, but that didn't change the problem.

I'm wondering if I might have some of my computer settings such that the ADSL router's buffer or tables are being stressed beyond their capacity. It just seems odd that this setup would work fine at some times, then go to hell in a handbasket at other times. What might I check to see if the problem might be caused by some of my computer's settings? Thanks for any suggestions. I'll try anything short of destroying the equipment and buying replacement stuff.

Gordon

Reply to
Gordon

On Thu, 22 Jun 2006 16:49:33 GMT, Gordon wrote in :

True, but then this is alt.internet.wireless For DSL, see comp.dcom.xdsl [cross-posted, follow-up set]

Reply to
John Navas

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.