Netgear WGU624 Connection Drops

I'd like to add one more voice to the several I've seen in various places noting that the Netgear WGU624 a/g router has a heat-related design flaw. Mine has been dropping connections, refusing to accept an admin log-in through a browser, etc, etc. Before deciding to drop-kick the POS into the nearest trash bin, I took it apart, drilled a bunch of holes in the case, and installed a 3" fan on top to pull air through it. You can steal 5VDC off the power connector inside the box (I soldered the red/black fan wires to the back of the PC board where the power connector pins come through) and used a 12V fan. It runs slower on 5V, but it moves plenty of air for such a small box. The fan I used was actually a CPU heatsink fan - they're smaller and thinner than the usual PC case fan, and work fine for this application.

The router runs tons cooler now, and behaves perfectly.

Reply to
scottdunham
Loading thread data ...

| I'd like to add one more voice to the several I've seen in various | places noting that the Netgear WGU624 a/g router has a heat-related | design flaw. Mine has been dropping connections, refusing to accept an | admin log-in through a browser, etc, etc. Before deciding to drop-kick | the POS into the nearest trash bin, I took it apart, drilled a bunch of | holes in the case, and installed a 3" fan on top to pull air through | it. You can steal 5VDC off the power connector inside the box (I | soldered the red/black fan wires to the back of the PC board where the | power connector pins come through) and used a 12V fan. It runs slower | on 5V, but it moves plenty of air for such a small box. The fan I used | was actually a CPU heatsink fan - they're smaller and thinner than the | usual PC case fan, and work fine for this application. | | The router runs tons cooler now, and behaves perfectly.

If building that in were to raise the cost of manufacturing by more than

3 cents, the CFO and Wall Street investors would have a fit. And marketing would never approve of something that cost 5 cents more.

You'd never succeed in business by making something actually work right :-)

Reply to
phil-news-nospam

Netgear used to be pretty good at building stuff that works, but I guess the heat sinks on the internal chips just aren't good enough in the WGU624. Apparently tech support (such as it is) will put you through all kinds of hoops with firmware upgrades, etc, but won't let on about the heat issue - which, of course, results in a big waste of time and a PO'd customer with a still-flaky router.

There is a "free" workaround available, too - apparently taking the top off the case and just leaving the box open helps, too.

Reply to
scottdunham

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.