High Gain Antenna - do they work?

I've got a Netgear DG834GT wireless router down stairs but PCs are upstairs on other side of house. Connection between PC and router is not very good. Thinking of fitting a 7dB high gain antenna (various ones on market, haven't yet decided which one). Before I slip out my credit card, just want to know if this is a worthwhile investment. Moving the router is not an option, nor is moving the PCs - I need a wireless connection.

Reply to
Tom Bradbury
Loading thread data ...

The signal coming from your stock antenna is shaped like a donut slipped onto the antenna. You want it broadside to the target, not pointing end-on, like might be typical if the downstairs antenna were pointing straight up.

You could add a simple reflector. If you get some signal at the PCs now, this could give you substantial boost.

formatting link
EZ-12, printed on photo paper for thick stock, with aluminum foil glued to the sail, provides a substantial boost in signal.
formatting link
The signal with the reflector is not only 13dB stronger, it's more stable.

You probably want a directional antenna. I have used the "Hawking HAI6SDA Directional 6dBi 2.4GHz Antenna" with good success on a Netgear WG311 PCI card. $20-30.

The one I bought fit the Netgear, and had an adapter that fit RP-TNC.

You could use one or more of these on the router and PCs. The omni antennas improve gain by squishing the donut. It gets flatter, and harder to aim, until it looks like a frisbee instead of a donut (thickness and diameter in ratio as gain goes up). But you are still wasting signal in the other directions on the frisbee.

A corner reflector has more height, but less beamwidth, like a slice of cake.

Reply to
dold

On Wed, 04 Apr 2007 21:05:09 GMT, "Tom Bradbury" wrote in :

Another option is to add a remote wireless access point by means of power line networking.

That said, yes, high-gain antennas really do work, albeit by reducing gain in other directions. 7dB is good for about double the range over a stock rubber duck antenna.

A reflector can be a low-cost alternative to a high-rain antenna.

See wikis below for lots more information.

Reply to
John Navas

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com declared for all the world to hear...

Solwise Homeplugs are your answer.

Reply to
Jon

Simple and work great. 7db does wonders over the std antennas usualy a little dipole. On AP and/or client side.

For houses/offices with manny rooms or a larger layout its all u need.

Joe.

Reply to
Forster Tuncurry

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.