Recommendations for high gain antenna for Linksys Router?

My frined is getting a poor signal in his garage where he has his laptop for use. The laptop is new (Dell brand) and is g capable. Using Linksys Router with SpeedBooster upstairs with desktop (hardwired).

Should we try a Linksys Range Extender which I read is hard to configure and perhaps there are better solutions...

There is no where to put another accesspoint since no where else to run wires without screwing up drywall and such. No attic or crawlspace.

****Do High Gain Antenna's from Linksys or Hwking (as ofund in CompUSA) work?

*****This guy also could hook up a DLINK router or Netgear (he bought everything which he will return unneeded items after a successful configuration).......any benefit there?

Thanks, Patty

Reply to
Patty Amas
Loading thread data ...

A higher gain antenna (the linksys are 7dbi) will make the signal stronger. and also increases the received signal sensitivity. The only way to tell really is to try it and see. I have read comments that the higher gain linsky didnt help certain people, but each situation is different. Antenna orientation helps also, Mine point straight down cause I found I get better coverage in the basement. In laptops without antennas in the video lid its sometimes better to place the antennas horizontally.

The range extenders work although they will cut the throughput about

50% and are really not that difficult to config.

Other options are to get a USB type adapter like a linksys wusb54gs to use on his laptop in the garage

bought

Reply to
Airhead

Thanks. Would it ever be prudent to put a high gain antenna like the Hawkingtech.com ones on a PCI card (if it is possible) or on a USB adapter????

Thanks Patty

Reply to
Patty Amas

I put one of those (badly overpriced) 7dbi antennaes on one box and got about 10% better signal strength. The improvement was marginal, but enough to make a difference as the box is at the fringe of my network. In some cases it helps, but if you are too far away from the AP, it won't be enough to help.

Reply to
Ook

The radiation pattern from a standard rubber-ducky antenna is like a donut. The antenna should be pointed so that it is broadside to the intended target. There would be some tilt needed to shoot downstairs.

You can also add free reflectors to the Access Point which can give 10dBi or more gain. If the laptop works at all in the present case, a reflector should make it work quite well.

formatting link
The EZ-10 takes a few minutes to make with a piece of cardboard and aluminum foil. My rendition may be too wrinkly, and should be smoother, maybe made from a flat sheet of metal instead. My setup was better with two reflectors. One reflector and one bare antenna caused some "toggling" between the antennas.

<
formatting link
>

In my case, my living room couch location would connect and disconnect. With the reflectors added, the living room and dining room beyond have solid connections.

Reply to
dold

Great info. I picked up a Hawking booster that was semi directional. Will try it out. ALso a Wifi detector from them as well--at CompUSA

Thanks Patty

Reply to
Patty Amas

Take a look at my posting on alt.internet.wireless earlier today regarding the Hawking corner antenna and the Linksys WRE54G Expander. The only way I increased the range more than a couple of feet with the Hawking antenna was when I wrapped it in aluminum foil. However, when I added the Linksys expander to my wireless system, it really did the job. Where before I received virtually no signal with my laptop on the breakfast table, the signal strength now ranges from good to very good according to the icon on my laptop system tray.

I have asked Linksys whether a Linksys expander could amplify the signal from another Linksys expander rather than from just a wireless router. Am still waiting to hear from Linksys.

John

Reply to
John Mason

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.