Wireless Router High Gain Antenna

Recently I had a need to get substantial improvement in my wireless router's performance, and thought a yagi antenna would help. Whoa! It did indeed help, so I have posted some pictures and a short how-to on the web at:

formatting link
It is the same 15 element yagi used for extending the range of USB wireless adapters, but connected via pigtail to a router. I can now connect indoors through concrete and plaster walls or provide wi-fi connectivity to laptop and Ipod touch users up to 300 meters away, in the presence of interference.

Maybe it can help some of you trying to cover some large areas with your routers.

Phil AB9IL

Reply to
AB9IL
Loading thread data ...

The only downside is that the router yagi will concentrate the signal path over about 30 degrees, which greatly restricts the coverage the access point is able to provide.

I have also played about with this type of antenna and you might find my write up of interest - refers to a $25 cheap Chinese yagi compared to other antenna types.

formatting link
Hardly worth trying to make one at that price.

Reply to
me here

AB9IL wrote in news:3a461770-4d5e-41cd-b243- snipped-for-privacy@k18g2000prf.googlegroups.com:

The record was set using 2 parabolic dish reflectors, as I recall over

100km at both ends. Dish reflectors by design I think provide the largest gain but are difficult to aim. I am using a homemade 1/2 parabolic to focus the signal onto a 5 inch wubber duckey antenna that came with my USB radio. Works fine, no need to purchase manufactured antennas for the home user just wanting to connect to the net.
Reply to
u

That's right.

There are certainly plenty of cheap and very effective options out there.

I haven't tried the half parabola yet, but it should be pretty similar to a corner reflector I expect.

The salad bowl/wire strainer also works better than it deserves to :-)

I often hear 3G net users whinging about their lousy reception, yet when you try to explain how they could easily overcome it by putting their adapter on an extension cable and using some sort of reflector, they just look at you like you're mad.

I wouldn't mind trying out tis item on Ebay - cheap and interesting.

Item number: 280466040537

Anyone used one yet?

Reply to
me here

Nope, but the design is fairly common. However, I see a few problems.

The copper part of the PCB is facing the ground plane, which means that the RF has to go THROUGH the FR4 substrate. That's good for about 2-3dB of loss. In other words, the picture shows that it's being built with the PCB reversed.

Then antenna is 4ea patch antennas with two power splitters. A single patch is good for about 8dBi of gain. Every time you double the number of patches, the gain increases 3dB. So, a 4 patch antenna will be 8+6=14dBi. However, that doesn't take into consideration the power divider losses of roughly 1dB per division. There are 3 of these in this antenna, resulting in a total gain of about 11dBi. The coax cable adds even more loss.

So, if we give it about 11dBi gain, lose about 2dB because the board is in backwards, loose another 1dB for coax and connector losses, it becomes an 8dBi antenna. Still, not bad for $30US.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Isn't it necessary to boost the signal of the receiving equipment as well, or is it sufficient that the sensitivity on the router antenna has been improved enough to still receive the weaker connected device?

Thanks

Reply to
AnthonyL

Antennas work for both transmit & receive, so higher gain is in both directions for any radios+antennas within it's field of coverage. Weaker or not.

It's when you up the transmit amp alone that you get lopsided effects. Thus the general rule is to address weak connections with antenna gain not radio amps.

Steve

Reply to
seaweedsl

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.