Firewall redundancy

I already have Zone Alarm on both lap top and desktop. I recently installed a Linksys wireless system. I did NOT put in the firewall program that came with the Linksys. Any particular reason that I should?

-------------------------------------------------------- "Writers even write the silences" -J. Michael Straczynski

Reply to
Kurt Ullman
Loading thread data ...

That is what I figured, but there is a part of me that thinks if one is good, two HAS to be twice as good. Thanks for setting me straight (g).

-------------------------------------------------------- "Writers even write the silences" -J. Michael Straczynski

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

AFAIK a 60-day version of Norton Internet Security is included with Linksys routers. Here are the main points why you do NOT need to install it:

- updates will run for 2 months only, later you'll have to pay them

- you may have problems with two firewalls running

- there is not need for two firewalls

- with a router connecting you to the internet most attacks are already blocked. An attacker can see the router only, not your PC. But the firewall will prevent trojan horses and spyware to send inforamtion to the internet.

Thomas

Reply to
Thomas Krüger

Taking a moment's reflection, Kurt Ullman mused: | | That is what I figured, but there is a part of me that thinks if | one is good, two HAS to be twice as good.

Best case scenario, one blocks the traffic before the other one even sees it. Worst case scenario, both fight for access to the packets causing all kinds of issues including allowing malicious code through to your computer. In this case, less is more.

Reply to
mhicaoidh

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.