Few wireless problems.

I have setup a small network with a Buffalo wireless router, used just as an access point. NO DHCP set on this as I have a hard wired router downstream connected to my broadband which handles DHCP. Two PCs connect to it. I desktop with a linksys USB adaptor and a new HP laptop with built in wireless (make unknown). The problems I am having are that if either PC goes into suspend or hibernate it looses the wireless connection on waking up - it can see the wirelees network but seems to be unable to resolve the ip address again. I can only reconnect by running 'repair connection'. I also find on occassions that one or other of the PCs cannot connect at all even from a fresh boot. I just does not detect the wireless connection at all. Both are running XP Home and have the WPA encryption patch installed which is the security I am using.. I have set Network authentication as wpa-psk and encryption as aes, as per an article I read on wireless security. The access point has the SSID hidden so the PCs are presett to connect to a specific SSID etc.

Any thoughts on why I loose connection on going into power save and on boot up sometimes? As a test I gave one PC a fixed IP address and this improved things a bit but did not cure it. The access point is in the same room as both PCs and signal strength is 100%

Thanks Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Farmer
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.