Extend BT Hub ADSL using WRTG54G V1

Just about to install BT Home Total Broadband Hub.

formatting link
It only has 2 x LAN ports could I use my WRT54G along side the BT Hub.

Main PC LAN --- LAN1 Hub LAN2--- WRT54G >> Providing additional switch ports for wired LAN? Actually could I use WiFi capability of the WRT54G also?

I use WiFi only with my laptop and like to have backup wired sockets. I don't really want to purchase a dedicated Switch just to extend the BT Hub switch ports.

Many Thanks

Reply to
Mr User
Loading thread data ...

On Fri, 13 Apr 2007 12:09:50 GMT, Mr User wrote in :

Sure. Just configure the WRT54G as an access point (not a router), as described in the How To wiki below, and put it on a different primary wireless channel (1, 6, 11) than the BT box. The two wireless access points should probably have different, unique SSIDs.

Reply to
John Navas

Thanks. This Home Hub isn't as clever as WRTG54 ... can't define my own IP range subnet etc boo ... but I'll check out the WRT54G as an AP sounds like a plan.

PS What should I use? I've selected WPA-PSK (BT Hub) then have options WPA, WPA2 and WPA+WPA2 (Selected WPA) ... read the Wiki but *damn* WiFi is getting confusing. Max security is my goal. Thanks again.

PPS I assume BT Hub LAN WRT54G LAN (i.e. no longer need WAN). I've used 2 separate channels and 2 SSID's BTW I assume they must be on the same subnet (i.e. both BT Hub & WRT54G).

Reply to
Mr User

Which firmware version do you have? I am still using 6.1.1.R and have no problems creating, editing, deleting IP Address, subnets, DHCP pools from the " Interface - LocalNetwork" configuration page.

If your wireless clients are able to use WPA2 then use it.

... read the Wiki but *damn* WiFi

Assuming you connected LAN port in the Hub to LAN port in the WRT54G then disable DHCP on the WRT54G and let the Hub provide the addresses for the same subnet.

Reply to
kev

On Fri, 13 Apr 2007 21:22:51 GMT, Mr User wrote in :

WPA2 is max security as compared to WPA (and WEP). RADIUS is max security when compared to PSK. If the BT box doesn't support those things, then use just the WRT54G for wireless.

If the WRT54G is an access point (not a router), then the BT box controls all that.

Reply to
John Navas

Ah yes, the default Hub address of 192.168.1.254 confused me somewhat ... I did eventually find that page. Software: 6.2.2.6 Boot Loader: 2.0.4

I wasn't unaware of this fact. I'll check the clients.

I'll give it a spin. A little playing around required as I have static IP's for 2 machines and 1 machine with DHCP and fallback to static (or do I have that the wrong way around .. meh I'll check).

Still using my NTL BB for the moment until I can find my RJ45 crimp tool. Murphy's Law just when you need a tool it walks *damn*

Thanks

Reply to
Mr User

It does support WPA2. I'll check my clients as advised previously. I'd rather use the Hub for WiFi as it comes with a WiFi Handset for cheap calls :)

So you're saying the BT Hub will control pool addressing for both devices, IP's be they Static that I define or DHCP (I assume when the WRT54G is set as an AP these functions are disabled)?

Are you also saying it will control SSID and channels (I don't think you are as I'm pretty sure that's not possible)?

Thanks

Reply to
Mr User

On Sun, 15 Apr 2007 23:17:18 GMT, Mr User wrote in :

Yes.

DHCP would be done by the BT Hub.

No.

Reply to
John Navas

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.