UK BT-ADSL w/ Cisco 837 training problem - Help

Folks,

is here anyone who is able to dig through my Cisco 837 training logs and might be able to tell whats wrong with training on this BT ADSL line? I have put the i/f configuration and two separate "sh dsl int atm0" on my webserver:

formatting link
Thanks a lot!

Cheers Sascha

Reply to
Sascha E. Pollok
Loading thread data ...

Hi Sascha,

I'm new to Cisco, having installed my first ever Cisco device yesterday! But it's also an 837, and if you can tell me how to get the same logs as you've done then perhaps I can also upload them, and we can compare them?

I've posted a few questions to this group over the last couple of days, but sadly only one reply :-(

Jim

Reply to
Jim Willsher

What I will say though, is it looks like you're on a noisy line (high Att, low SNR).

Jim

Reply to
Jim Willsher

Jim, thanks for your reply. To get these logs: configure "dsl enable-training-log" on the ATM0 interface and then do "sh dsl int atm0". Maybe you have to re-enable the line (unplug/replug) to get some information into the log.

BT said I should call back later today because it could be that a line that is reported as delivered, might not work after 24 more hours for some reason :-?

Thanks! Sascha

Reply to
Sascha E. Pollok

Line has not yet been activated.

In other words, either ..

1. No DSL on the line .. cross conns not done in the exchange or whatever
  2. Faulty ADSL filter.

Chris.

Reply to
chris

Chris,

this is very interesting. I am only familiar with all sorts of DSL stuff in Germany. BT delivered a POTS socket that delivers the PSTN service and the ADSL service. Is it required that I install a microfilter even when I am not using the PSTN service but only the ADSL one? In Germany I do not need the (what we call) "splitter" when I am using only one of these two services. Right now, the Cisco 837 is directly wired to the POTS socket.

Thanks! Sascha

Reply to
Sascha E. Pollok

Hi,

If you're just using ADSL then no, you don't need the microfilter.

Your line stats (if I was reading the script correctly) looked very high - 60+dB attenuation. It might be that the 837 simply cannot train on the line. Are you able to try any different router on the line, such as a NetGear DG834 or similar?

Jim

Reply to
Jim Willsher

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.