Configuring a Netgear WG102 WAP

Ok, I've never configured a WAP before and might be missing something conceptually so tell me if I'm being stupid...

What I'm Trying To Do: Connect an ethernet cable to a Netgear WG102 and have it relay the 192.168.10.x network.

What I've Done: Gave it the IP address of 192.168.10.201, Subnet

255.255.255.0, Default Gateway 192.168.10.1 .... Pretty standard type stuff. The radio is on. I even got WEP to work so I can communicate wirelessly in a secure manner

What it WON'T Do: It won't relay the ethernet at all. I can wirelessly talk to the access point but nothing else. It won't even relay DHCP so I have to give a static IP if I want talk to the access point.

What am I doing wrong? It seems like this should be a breeze but it's not.

Pix

Reply to
Pixiest
Loading thread data ...
[POSTED TO alt.internet.wireless - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

Relay? You mean bridge between wired and wireless? Or route? What's the pool of wired addresses, and how are they handed out? How are you assigning addresses in the wireless pool?

Not necessarily -- depends on how your wired network is configured. See comments at bottom.

WEP is *not* secure. Use WPA instead.

It is a breeze if done properly.

Normally you would have a wired router that connects to the Internet, which includes a DHCP server that hands out private IP addresses to your wired network from a given subnet. A wireless AP on that (wired) network should just be a bridge (not a router), usually with its own address (strictly for management), either by means of DHCP (client) or possibly by manual static assignment; if done manually, it must be a non-conflicting address from the same subnet as your wired devices. Wireless clients then get their addresses by DHCP from the router (not the access point), by means of traffic passed both ways over the access point bridge.

Reply to
John Navas

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.