WAP

Can anyone tell me if there is such a thing as a WAP that supports 802.11a, b,g, and pre-n? It must support the latest WPA protocol and have an Ethernet connector. I'd like as much of the trimmings (special features) as possible without running the price out of the ballpark.

Regards,

Fred Atkinson

Reply to
Fred Atkinson
Loading thread data ...

So you want both the 2.4Ghz and the 5.8Ghz ?

Reply to
P.Schuman

Yes. I want dual band and the pre-n support (so that hopefully I can add the n support with a firmware upgrade after they finalize the standard).

I current have two WAPs, an a and a b,g. Neither support WPA. I think the best way would be to find a WAP that would support all of it.

The closest I've come is the Netgear WAG102. It supports, a, b, and g but provides nothing towards pre-n support.

Any suggestions?

Regards,

Fred

Reply to
Fred Atkinson

Linksys lists one WRT600N found here;

formatting link

Reply to
Pen

Also check Dlink.

Reply to
Pen

I too have two wap's, one a only, and one b-g-pre-n, and (just plug one into the others router part)... very cheap, both support wpa (actually 3, 3rd is a BlueTooth AP plugged into the router part)

Good, cheap/easy/quick off the shelf stuff, easy to repair/maintain/etc (power strip and cat5 cable, adds under $10) Bad, not all in one box, but several (I personally think multiple boxes is good, but some people like integrated, look at home stereo stuff)

Reply to
Peter Pan

You'll find that if you enable Pre-802.11n Draft 2 high speed performance, 802.11b/g compatibility usually disabled. There are several modes (legacy, mixed, and green field modes) the determine how backwards compatibility operates. See: (3 pages) for how it all works. Basically, if you want the high speeds that a

40MHz channel offers, you gotta disabled 802.11b/g, or it's like dragging an anchor.

See Linksys WRT600N:

(11 pages)

About $275/ea.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.