WAP with DHCP Pass Through...

I am looking for a good WAP or set of WAPs that i can use as a base and repeater......

The problem is that the netgear that i have supports DHCP from itself as a server but i have a windows 2003 server that i want to hand out the addresses for my wireless clients. It wont pass an address through the WAP to my wireless clients.

This is very frustrating. I know most of you will say to have a small scope in the WAP and exlude that from my win2k3 DHCP scope but i would like everything to be managed via the windows 2003 DHCP server.

I dont want to drop 600 bucks on a cisco 1200 series unit just to provide wireless access to to my laptop while im at home :)

Anyone have a good solid solution for a WAP that will do this?

Reply to
scale
Loading thread data ...

A linksys wrt54gl running openwrt will do this. I have an older unit running as a pure ethernet bridge. Works just fine.

-wolfgang

Reply to
Wolfgang S. Rupprecht

On 1 Jul 2006 09:22:05 -0700, "scale" wrote in :

A wireless access point shouldn't have a DHCP server -- are you actually thinking of a wireless router? If so, then configure it as an wireless access point, as described in the How To wiki below. An access point is a network bridge, and will pass DHCP traffic back and forth.

Reply to
John Navas

On 1 Jul 2006 09:22:05 -0700, "scale" wrote: : I am looking for a good WAP or set of WAPs that i can use as a base and : repeater...... : : The problem is that the netgear that i have supports DHCP from itself : as a server but i have a windows 2003 server that i want to hand out : the addresses for my wireless clients. It wont pass an address through : the WAP to my wireless clients. : : This is very frustrating. I know most of you will say to have a small : scope in the WAP and exlude that from my win2k3 DHCP scope but i would : like everything to be managed via the windows 2003 DHCP server. : : I dont want to drop 600 bucks on a cisco 1200 series unit just to : provide wireless access to to my laptop while im at home :) : : Anyone have a good solid solution for a WAP that will do this?

I used to do that with a very early WRT54G running in access point mode, and I do it now with a Netgear WG302. I don't see why any access point wouldn't work as well.

OTOH, if your access point is actually a router, it might not work if you put the 2003 server on the router's WAN side. But if you put it on the LAN side, I'd expect it to work. I guess we need more details about your network topology.

Reply to
Robert Coe

Linksys WAP54G

Reply to
William P.N. Smith

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.