Can my Netgear WGR614 act as a repeater?

Any help/advice would be very much appreciated!

I'm currently sharing wireless with my neighbor (router is based in his apartment). The signal is strong in one area of my apartment, but weaker in others. I have a Netgear WGR614 (this is not the one that is currently transmitting the signal) and I was wondering if I could use it as a "repeater" to extend/strengthen the signal in my apartment? If so, how do I do that? If not, do I need to by a repeater? Any suggestions on afforable, quality brands?

Thanks! Mia

Reply to
mialozada
Loading thread data ...

conceptually ... as long as your netgear WGR614 is acting as an access point, you cannot use it as a repeater. If you have your WGR614 and the transmitting router set to ad hoc mode (with a predefined access point) ... then you shoudl be able to access off of the wired interfaces... additionally if you setup the routing tables just right .. then too perhaps you can acess using wireless itself --- i doubt there are any dynamic adhoc routing schemes in WGR614 - if there are then it should just work in the adhoc mode !!...

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Reply to
mottee

On 8 Aug 2006 12:12:37 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in :

You can't -- it doesn't have a repeater mode.

Your best bet may be a high-gain antenna either on the wireless router or on your wireless client adapter. A possible simple solution is the Hawking USB wireless client adapter with built-in high-gain antenna.

Reply to
John Navas

No. The WGR614 does not have a repeater mode, or a WDS (wireless distibution something) mode.

I consider repeaters to be an evil abomination created by the devil himself to pollute the airwaves with duplicate packets.

Before you think about a repeater, think about a better antenna on the client end. You didn't specify what you're using to connect to the neighbor. If it has an easily accessible antenna, then either an aftermarket antenna, or a reflector will be more useful than a repeater. If a laptop, then an external USB wireless dongle will also work.

See:

formatting link
formatting link
more after you disclose your client hardware.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

What kind of WiFi client do you have? Is this a laptop, desktop, both? Different sorts of antennas or reflectors can be added. External USB-WiFi clients can be added, allowing better positioning, as well as the addition of reflectors or antennas.

Maybe your neighbor could add a reflector to his router.

Reply to
dold

On Wed, 9 Aug 2006 21:10:04 +0000 (UTC), snipped-for-privacy@XReXXCanXm.usenet.us.com wrote in :

Maybe, but that might interfere with his own use of the router, which is why I would first try an antenna at the client end.

Reply to
John Navas

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.