T1 / PBX / Faxboard Question

Hi, I am a bit shaky on Telcom and my phone switch guy is of no help with my question about getting a faxboard.

I have a Nortel Northstar MCIS phone switch serviced by a T1 line with 100 DID numbers from XO. This provides phone service for the company.

I am looking at a brooktrout faxboard but I am unsure of which 'type' of interface to get. I want to use the DID number to route the faxes,

I think I can use an analog brooktrout card along with an analog converter card in the switch and have the switch guy program the Nortel to pass the incoming numbers with DTMF.

I was looking for a more digital alternative,

Is there a digital interface with the Nortel that a brooktrout card can use?

Can I have some of the 24 channels peeled off the T1 and have them directly connected to the brooktrout card bypassing the PBX?

We don't want to get a new T1 or new ISDN lines because faxing will be fairly small volume and don't want to do the extra expense of more lines.

Any help or ideas on my situation would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Reply to
spoliskey
Loading thread data ...

If you are willing to consider an analog board (connected to a analog converter board as you say) our Mainpine RockForce cards are really the best alternative. They fully support DTMF. They also have more power on board and security by adding a seperate CPU and DSP per fax port. This is more "muscle" than the Brooktrout line. We also have the industry unique feature of being able to "power reset" a port using a simple Sideband command. This is a feature normally only found on external "modem" devices.

You can see our datasheets at

formatting link
, and the fax software packages we support at:

formatting link
Contact me if you have any questions or if you would like pricing information. Thanks,

Derrek Sypert Mainpine, Inc. USA (503) 822-9944 x 204 | Asia/Europe +44 1225 436137 USA Fax (503) 822-9943 | snipped-for-privacy@mainpine.com

formatting link

Reply to
DerrekatMainpine

This is an easy one. The Norstar won't pass the DID information to an analog set or trunk, so that's out.

Put a second T1 card in the Norstar and have it route the fax numbers back out that along with the DID digits to a Brooktrout, or any other, T1 fax board in you fax server. I've done 100s of these its simple.

I think Brooktrout still offers it's T1 fax boards in 8, 16, and 24 channel configurations (8 can be upgraded to 24 later), so you don't need to buy more then you need.

Reply to
RC

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.