Warning To Those Considering A Home Security Alarm System

ADT Security Systems

ADT Security =B7 Sales practices =B7 Service =B7 Military clause ADT is by far the largest home security alarm service in the U.S. and also does a big business in providing service to business and government. ADT works with independent re-sellers and it also has partnerships with Sears and other retailers.

It's important to note that you're buying two things when you get a home alarm system -- the equipment and the "service," which basically consists of monitoring your system and responding in whatever manner you agree to when alarms are received. Note that you must provide a working telephone line.

Like cell phones, security services will offer all kinds of deals, including "free" equipment and, sometimes, "free" installation. Of course, it isn't really free. The cost is simply built into the contract you sign, which usually runs two years or more. Like any contract, the ADT contract means what it says -- and only what it says. Nothing your salesman tells you means anything. Verbal promises are meaningless.

Therefore, read the contract fully before you sign it. Understand what you're getting into -- a multi-year contract that obligates you to pay whether the system works or not, whether your phone line works or not, whether you have a job or not.

Sure, there might be a few cases where you could get out of the contract but it's a lot easier to be safe than sorry. Read it thoroughly. If you don't understand it, don't sign it until you find a disinterested third party, preferably a lawyer or paralegal, who can read it and explain it to you. Otherwise, you'll end up like the complainants whose tales appear in this section.

Don't believe us? Check out the complaint below ...

Patricia of Tracy, CA (10/20/05) We signed a contract with ADT in 1998 for a term of three years. The account was in my husband's name and his signature is on this contract. When I called ADT to cancel our services in June of this year, I was told that my husband had to cancel because it was his account. My husband called later in the week and was told that the company required a 30-day notice for cancellations. Since we had already sent our payment for the quarterly statement, the rep told my husband that we were going to be pro rated on our refund.

Several weeks later we received a statement telling us that we owed $331.22 for the balance of the contract. We were expecting a refund, not a balance. We were very surprised to receive a copy of a second contract made out in my husband's name but showing my name in the signature. When I questioned the rep about the discrepancy in this "new" contract she didn't have an explanation.

Damages: ADT constantly calls and wants to collect this money that we feel that we do not owe them. They send a statement every month trying to collect from us. We feel this will affect our credit report that we value very much.

Reply to
Sonicduck
Loading thread data ...

Whoa ! What the devil are all these postings about ADT ? It's obvious you have some sort of vendetta against ADT ? I never thought I'd ever see the day when I ended up actually defending them, but this stuff is CRAP. Your horror stories may or may not be true, but to continually lay out example after example like this doesn't indicate to any thinking person that this is how they handle things on a general basis. With millions of customers, I'm sure it's easy to find horror stories, but honestly, there are probably millions of other examples where things worked exactly as they should.

Your horror stories tell the ng more about your hate for them than anything else. Knock it off ! Your credibility is gone my friend....don't waste bandwidth....

RHC

ADT Security · Sales practices · Service · Military clause ADT is by far the largest home security alarm service in the U.S. and also does a big business in providing service to business and government. ADT works with independent re-sellers and it also has partnerships with Sears and other retailers.

It's important to note that you're buying two things when you get a home alarm system -- the equipment and the "service," which basically consists of monitoring your system and responding in whatever manner you agree to when alarms are received. Note that you must provide a working telephone line.

Like cell phones, security services will offer all kinds of deals, including "free" equipment and, sometimes, "free" installation. Of course, it isn't really free. The cost is simply built into the contract you sign, which usually runs two years or more. Like any contract, the ADT contract means what it says -- and only what it says. Nothing your salesman tells you means anything. Verbal promises are meaningless.

Therefore, read the contract fully before you sign it. Understand what you're getting into -- a multi-year contract that obligates you to pay whether the system works or not, whether your phone line works or not, whether you have a job or not.

Sure, there might be a few cases where you could get out of the contract but it's a lot easier to be safe than sorry. Read it thoroughly. If you don't understand it, don't sign it until you find a disinterested third party, preferably a lawyer or paralegal, who can read it and explain it to you. Otherwise, you'll end up like the complainants whose tales appear in this section.

Don't believe us? Check out the complaint below ...

Patricia of Tracy, CA (10/20/05) We signed a contract with ADT in 1998 for a term of three years. The account was in my husband's name and his signature is on this contract. When I called ADT to cancel our services in June of this year, I was told that my husband had to cancel because it was his account. My husband called later in the week and was told that the company required a 30-day notice for cancellations. Since we had already sent our payment for the quarterly statement, the rep told my husband that we were going to be pro rated on our refund.

Several weeks later we received a statement telling us that we owed $331.22 for the balance of the contract. We were expecting a refund, not a balance. We were very surprised to receive a copy of a second contract made out in my husband's name but showing my name in the signature. When I questioned the rep about the discrepancy in this "new" contract she didn't have an explanation.

Damages: ADT constantly calls and wants to collect this money that we feel that we do not owe them. They send a statement every month trying to collect from us. We feel this will affect our credit report that we value very much.

Reply to
R.H.Campbell
*** You are wrong. I really have no vendetta against ADT. One of the major reasons I posted these complaints against ADT is only because ADT IS the largest out there, and has a dealer program THEY DON'T really like to admit they have. These complaints are from a consumer complaint website, and I also looked up Brinks (nothing much there, even though I have heard tons of complaints against them), and Bell South Security (nothing there), and Protection One (nothing there either). That doesn't mean they don't have major problems. From what I see and know THEY ALL HAVE HUGE PROBLEMS. I think their are some class action suits that could be filed, and I am checking into them. They need to really clean this scam a minute industry up. Not just ADT, EVERYBODY. It would be the best thing that ever happened to to this industry. Once the scam companies are gone, what is left should do the trick.

sd....quack> Whoa ! What the devil are all these postings about ADT ? It's obvious you

Reply to
Sonicduck

Sir, I think you are overreacting to the situation. Sure this industry has problems but name me one that doesn't. As a small independant, there are lots of things I see about the big guys that I don't like, but some of the same complaints can be aimed at some of the little guys too. But all these things ARE in the minority. Most people are simply trying to do a good job and give good service. Problems with the big guys are easy to spot; problems with the little guys, not so easy. Service problems with the nationals come about due to bureaucratic rules that conflict within the company - it's called "institutionalized corporate stupidity". Large corporations can only survive with structure, and this structure doesn't always allow for the kinds of service flexibilities that a small owner / installer can give within a small company.

I've worked in a few different industries over the last four decades and I don't think this one is any worse than the others I've been in. I agree with you that we should be pointing out the problems within our industry where exposing them can lead to the industry addressing them (and goodness knows, I do enough preaching on the subject), but your blanket condemnation of the Borg does nothing but brand you as someone with a personal axe to grind.

Sorry... you may mean well, but that's the way it comes across......

RHC

*** You are wrong. I really have no vendetta against ADT. One of the major reasons I posted these complaints against ADT is only because ADT IS the largest out there, and has a dealer program THEY DON'T really like to admit they have. These complaints are from a consumer complaint website, and I also looked up Brinks (nothing much there, even though I have heard tons of complaints against them), and Bell South Security (nothing there), and Protection One (nothing there either). That doesn't mean they don't have major problems. From what I see and know THEY ALL HAVE HUGE PROBLEMS. I think their are some class action suits that could be filed, and I am checking into them. They need to really clean this scam a minute industry up. Not just ADT, EVERYBODY. It would be the best thing that ever happened to to this industry. Once the scam companies are gone, what is left should do the trick.

sd....quack> Whoa ! What the devil are all these postings about ADT ? It's obvious you

Reply to
R.H.Campbell

Hmm sure looks like you have no vendetta doesn't it?

Reply to
Mark Leuck

no vendetta...he just wants to get sued.

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Well, I really doubt that anyone could ever get sued by anything they say on a newsgroup. It's probably the only place where you can say exactly what you want, true or not, and not face any consequences. If something were ever said that got someones lawyers flapping their gums, it would only be an empty threat. However, in those cases, that is often enough to stop the slander.

A website now, that's a different thing, since that is the printed word, accessible to everyone.

RHC

I choose Polesoft Lockspam to fight spam, and you?

formatting link

Reply to
R.H.Campbell

It would be libel, not slander. And I see no diff. between a website or a newsgroup both are viewable...both can create the same kind of damage.

| >

| >

| | | I choose Polesoft Lockspam to fight spam, and you? |

formatting link
| |

Reply to
Crash Gordon

It would be interesting to know if that is the case. If the newsgroup is subject to the same laws as other printed media, there are some on this newsgroup that could both sue and be sued. I suspect there may be issues of "jurisdiction" that would confuse the legal issues. Next time I'm talking to my lawyer, I'll ask him his opinion.

RHC

formatting link

Reply to
R.H.Campbell

RHC,

Hmm. Did you notice that Sonic showed up after "Paul" disappeared? :^)

Reply to
robertlbass

He also showed up when you came back

Reply to
Mark Leuck

Thank heavens you're back! Duck is a boring son of a bitch. Now tell us all about how your absence was caused by your recent visit to the Kingdom of Togo where you dined on 3,000 yr old sun poached antelope eggs, and pickled pigmy feet with Queen OochieCoochieCoo.

snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net wrote:

Reply to
Where's my WEBTV?

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA I started laughing before I finished the first line... C'mon, Bobbie, toss him a bone!

Reply to
mikey

See. I told ya. He has to behave because Tom's here. My theory is that suckaduck is bass in disguise releasing all his pent-up dealer bashing and disguising it with some clever rant about being having a shitty on for ADT.

Reply to
mikey

Yeah, but this guys English is a whole lot better. Just another nutcase I think, and one with a major hate on for the nationals.

RHC

formatting link

Reply to
R.H.Campbell

yep...

I'm really SONIC BASS in disguise...

If you turds are so good, just reprogram me...

laughing all the way to the john...

Reply to
Sonicduck

I can certainly understand laughter when you take aim but what's so funny about getting there?

Reply to
mikey

Nah Mikey, SoniDouche couldn't possibly be Bass. Even Bass knows there's no such thing as a PINK duck. Besides, any culinary expert will tell you it's taboo to mix poultry with seafood. Would it be Duck stuffed Bass, or Bass stuffed Duck?

mikey wrote:

Reply to
Where's my WEBTV?

Listen rump rocket, there is no way in hell you could ever be confused with Bass. You're not in his league. Sure you could visit alt.plumpers, or run a woman over with your car. Hell you can even lie on a license application, post as ThelmaSue, call the employers of those who post here, claim to be half jewish, or crank call Mike Sabodish's house, but can NEVER, EVER, EVER, achieve the legendary jackass status of Bass. Be warned you retarded mallard When Bass finally spots you it will be lights out. Fear the Fish!

S> yep...

Reply to
Where's my WEBTV?

And the fucker doesn't curse either, Bob. I say we shoot the cocksucker before he angers Bass.

R.H.Campbell wrote:

Reply to
Where's my WEBTV?

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.