PC Based DVR

I've not sold any. I've been sticking with DM, but I lose a lot of business to the PC based systems. I have installed a few for clients who purchased units themselves, but had no clue how to set them up. My experience has been that they are not that stable. Atleast not Windows based units. If you put in a seven day auto reboot they work better, and some like Pelco's units have it as part of their setup. (I guess I have sold a windows PC based DVR afterall. Forgot about those.)

Still. It seems to me that unless the customer can be trained to check the unit regularly they run a very high risk of finding their recorder locked up when they really need to review some video. What do you do to prevent this?

Are Linux based machines any better?

How about building your own. I'm sure some of you guys do that. What do you use for a PC so that you have a really good machine to stick your card(s) in?

I've only played with a couple cards stuck in my own PC type applications, and I was not totally thrilled with the performance.

With cheap PC based recorders it seems like the logical thing to do would be to install two units for redundant recording, but when people see "cheap" its awfully hard to get them to step back up and spend a little more money to make up for the "cheap" part.

Reply to
Bob La Londe
Loading thread data ...

I will not sell PC based recorders I have seen too many times where an employee has gotten on the PC and gotten it infected or other wise caused the recordings to go bye bye and or crash the PC stay with a box and save the headaches PC are fast and easy to set up but not worth the headache.

Reply to
nick markowitz

I've yet to have any problems with a PC based DVR, all Windows XP based

Reply to
mleuck

Ive had no problems with cheap Lorex cards installed on refurbished Dell Optiplex...well only one problem where the guy wanted to run it on his business computer along with his accounting and his restaurant software...he didn't believe me it wouldn't work for long. A month later I sold him a refurb machine and it's been running 7 cameras full recording for 4 months now without a lockup or crash. XP Pro 250gb hd, 2 g memory...but all it runs is the camera card and its software. Have 2 others that have been running constantly for a year at least...no problems except one lady keeps forgetting her un/pw.

And a piece o'cake to access over the net.

Reply to
Crash Gordon

we've had to replace a single PC DVR combo 4 times so far.. (all within the first year) video card crash and burn, camera input card crash and burn, hard drive crash and burn, total software crash.. All this from a so called quality vendor in VA.. If the thing wasn't under warranty, it would have been in the river by now..

(Or customer has 4 of these units and each one has had something wrong with it within the first year of service)

Stand-a-lone DVR the only way to go.. (for my money)

software...he

applications,

Reply to
RockyTSquirrel

You like the Lorex Cards huh? I have one that I have played with and a generic Ebay card. I was not thrilled, but they seemed to work ok. The problems seem to be on the PC side.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

And meantime, I've put in a variety of cheap standalone DVRs that have had all manner of problems with failing drives, locking up, crapped-out video, spotty controls...

Considering most standalones ARE PCs at the core, running an embedded OS, the "standalone vs. PC" argument is rather silly.

What it comes down to is: you use cheap hardware, you'll get cheap results. You do things with a system that it's not designed for (ie. employees checking their Hotmail), you'll have problems. PC-based (rather, Windows-based) systems are plenty easy to lock down to prevent people tampering with them; most people just don't bother.

Reply to
Matt Ion

true true however the DVR stand-a-lone units tend to have the op sys on ram not software on disk.. also tend to have outboard power supplies which are easier to upgrade or replace.. also tend to run cooler with less heat related failures..

Reply to
RockyTSquirrel

I have used nothing but PC based DVR's. I like 'em. They are easy for customers to use, and I have had very few problems. It seems like the problems I have had are things that might fail on any electronic device. Some windoze issues, but not many.

I buy the card based on number of cameras, framerate, etc. I get to control the quality of the computer and its components. The card works very well, and does everything I could ever want. Granted, I don't have experience with stand-alones, but based on what I've seen and heard from others, they are not bullet proof either.

Reply to
alarman

"Tend tend tend" - it still comes down to the difference between cheap vs. quality hardware. Most of those standalones I had with the failing drives, the drives failed because of poor cooling. Of all the standalones I've installed, about half used a "standard" 12VDC power supply with barrel connector; the other half used proprietary multi-voltage supplies with DIN connectors, which are NOT easier to SOURCE; replacement computer power supplies are available at just about any little computer store, big-box electronics store, office-supply store...

Oh yes, and I've seen PC DVRs with the opsys loaded on internal flash drives, too.

Reply to
Matt Ion

For the money they're great, obviously you wouldn't use it for a big commercial job.

But you know what?....put it in a dedicated refurb computer like a Dell Optiplex (built like a brick you know what) and you got a great little system. Like I said...I got a guy here in the airpark that Ive known for 15+ years I get the refurb machines from and I've yet to have ANY die on me.

And if the Lorex card dies it's a cheap enough you can throw a new one in in

5 minutes and send the bad one back if on warranty...havent had one die yet.

Ok ok...it's NOT pro quality we know that - but put good cams in and you have an inexpensive easy to use system for home or small business.

Reply to
Crash Gordon

So which cards do you use?

Reply to
Jim

A Korean card made by Tibet Systems.

Reply to
alarman

Oh Yeah! I know the owner of that company ...... Ghengis Kahn

Now really ...... which cards do you use?

Reply to
Jim

Oh Yeah! I know the owner of that company ...... Ghengis Kahn

Now really ...... which cards do you use?

Not so fast oh not so wise one!! Confucius say: Ah so desert flower, just Google before opening mouth and inserting dirty ones own foot..

formatting link
formatting link

Reply to
ABLE1

I know I KNOW ...... already. ;-)

I was just trying to add a little levitation to the subject.

Reply to
Jim

Just how high to you plan on "levitating" Jack?? Anything above 10000 feet and he'll need oxygen. :-)

Reply to
Frank Olson

Only if he levitates for more than one hour.

Reply to
RLB

Not even RogerW could keep it up that long... and he's a legend!

Reply to
Frank Olson

Being levitatied for more than an hour might cause a severe case of the "straightens"

Reply to
Jim

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.