So I've made the "switch"

Upgraded to Windoze Vista Ultimate. Figured it was time to get my feet wet. I had to install the sucker three times. Kept blue screening on me. Fixed the problem with MS Office (it kept asking me to "accept" or "decline" the licensing agreement). Other minor glitches are the fact that my Symantec software (SystemWorks 2008) keeps reporting it wants to "upgrade" whenever I restart, and I can't change the darned office assistant (not that I use him, but it would be nice to be able to see a little more "animations" considering that I'm also running dual nVidia

8600 video cards "SLI'd" with a Core 2 Duo). Microsoft is "working" on the problem. At this time I don't recommend upgrading to Vista for anyone with a pacemaker or anger management issues. :-)
Reply to
Frank Olson
Loading thread data ...

Wait till you find out how many of your programs do not load and you have to upgrade or find patches. Vista is one of the biggest piecesof shit microsoft has come out wtth yet dont even get me started on ME most of my customers are staying with xp and

Reply to
Nick Markowitz Jr.

Microsoft will stop supporting XP in January 2009. At least that's what I've heard. They also predict by that time 57% of the world's computers will be running Vista. Gawd help us.

Reply to
Frank Olson

Reply to
Nick Markowitz Jr.

I think Microsoft should rename Windows Vista to Windows Millennium, 2nd edition. Vista has proved so far to be a worthy successor to the sorry Millennium legacy.

Reply to
Roland Moore

My dual core 2 laptop came with Vista installed. It only took 3 days for it to totally crash. So I wipe the HD, and installed XP Pro Corporate Edition. Its been running fine ever since.

Jim Rojas

Frank Ols>> Wait till you find out how many of your programs do not load and you

Reply to
Jim Rojas

I had to install the sucker three times...

Hahahaahahaha.

me to "accept" or "decline" the licensing agreement)...

Confusing, eh?

or anger management issues. :-)

Too late. I already forwarded a copy to Jiminex.

Reply to
robertlbass

You're back!

wet. I had to install the sucker three times...

asking me to "accept" or "decline" the licensing agreement)...

pacemaker or anger management issues. :-)

Reply to
Roland Moore

He's posting through "Google". It's probably not even "him".

Reply to
Frank Olson

Found the fix to make the Office Assistant work properly. If anyone's interested, I've saved all the links to these.

I actually like the look of the new taskbar and I haven't had a blue screen since I completed the last install.

Reply to
Frank Olson

Its probably one of Jim Rojas' sock puppets.

Jim Rojas Sock puppet for Jim Rojas

Frank Ols>> You're back!

Reply to
Jim Rojas

My rule of thumb is to wait a year or 2 before making such a bold move. This gives my peripheral device companies a chance to make driver updates available.

Jim Rojas

Frank Ols>> My dual core 2 laptop came with Vista installed. It only took 3 days

Reply to
Jim Rojas

That's generally my rule as well. But with this latest order, I decided it was time I found out just what we were going to face. Now that I'm gaining more familiarity with the software (hardware isn't an issue since I only build computers with hardware on the compatibility list), the next step is to get some more indepth training. Microsoft provides that (and if I really have an issue, their worldwide corporate office is in "spitting distance"). :-)

Reply to
Frank Olson

How many are you now??? :-)

Reply to
Frank Olson

I disagree. Vista is NOTHING like Millenium. It isn't even based on the same OS.

Reply to
Frank Olson

The Windows Vista Kernel is nothing like the Millennium Kernel of course. However the volume of complaints from the IT community about Vista compared to Millennium have been about the same. Once Millennium was end of life from Microsoft, even folks within Microsoft called it a mistake. So in that sense I think the Millennium Second Edition name works. I have yet to see any large scale deployment of Vista in any corporate environment of customers we serve, and that is a lot of customers. Microsoft is rushing to complete Vista SP1 in order to encourage more corporate deployments, but a large part of the IT community still remains weary. Other than some security enhancements, there are no compelling reasons to shift to Vista for the majority of the corporate world. Meanwhile SP3 for Windows XP is supposed to be released early next year, so the pressure is on Microsoft to continue to support XP. Very few security applications list Vista as an approved OS (I think ONSSI is the only one I've seen that lists it), so moving to Vista hasn't been necessary for us just yet either. As long as Microsoft continues to sell XP, there will be buyers, at least for the short run. Windows Vista needs an image overhaul along with more debugging.

Reply to
Roland Moore

Well there's half your problem right there...

Reply to
Matt Ion

Really??

Reply to
Frank Olson

I've never installed Symantec anything that didn't wreak havok with the system... Systemworks and Norton Internet Security are by far the worst. The rare times they have installed "properly" (that is, without borking halfway through and leaving the system in such a state that the drive must be reformatted and Windows installed fresh), they've done little but bog things down by chewing up resources.

Reply to
Matt Ion

Reply to
Roland Moore

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.