Is CSID of the alarm panel stored in company's customer computer record

I'm afraid not, a Vista-15P would require a minimum of 4 relays to do that

Reply to
Mark Leuck
Loading thread data ...

Thanks

Reply to
Brent

Initially I was confused by differing opinions from security experts here but I guess Mark solved it.

Thanks

Reply to
Brent

I find it kind of odd security experts have differing opinions about a standard CSID.

Reply to
Brent

You can't even get the SE stuff anymore. The 15P would be a good choice, it's not hard to program either...sometimes...maybe...:-)

| >

| >>>

| >>>

| >>> Allan, | >>>

| >>> Do I need Vista 10e or Vista 20e for my needs ? | >>>

| >>> This is what I am looking for | >>>

| >>> "Notification by Pager" that sends "high level reports" to the pager | >>> about | >>> AC power fail, cpu back in service, phone failure, sensor alarms, sensor | >>> tamper, receiver failure, receiver jam, touchpad tamper etc. and opening | >> and | >>> closing reports | >>>

| >>> and | >>>

| >>> integrate the door alarm system with my CCTV cameras and DVR. | >>

| >> The 10se or 20se are the older models, you need the 10P, 15P or 20P | >>

| >>

| >

| >

| |

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Welp, my opinion is you would NOT want to use the same CSID on all your panels, you would not want your technicians ever knowing any corporate codes once the panel is locked. Our panels go out with basic programming set up, and generic locks, once the panel is tested into the CS and the tech is done, our final remote programming is done by someone in the corporate family that has the formula to create the lock codes and the panel is locked.

| >

| |

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Look, the CSID is really pretty simple. First of all, not everyone you talk to on the phone has access to the remote programming software. If they don't, they obviously will not have access to the CSID.

Second, the term "CSID" generally applies to Ademco panels. You have a Concord Express, which I know nothing about. Different manufacturers have different security policies, so there is no one universal "right answer" that applies to all systems.

If you had an Ademco system, the CSID cannot be read out of the panel by remote programming software, or at the keypad. It's possible to zero it out, but not to read the value. This, for example, keeps other alarm companies from remotely accessing another company's systems. In addition, an ordinary operator is not able to view the CSID. Since the CSID is often shared by many of an alarm company's systems, this information is sensitive, and operators do not need to know it. The software handles this without operator intervention. Operators can be assigned a higher authority level that will allow them to view the CSID, but that is a security risk, so only certain people should have access to this information.

Your question was whether another alarm company could download the log for your system and tell you what happened. Again, this depends on your system. Generally speaking, you will need to contact your installing or monitoring company and have them upload the event log. Someone should be able to do this for you, and send you a printout of the event history. If the person you've been talking to can't do this, you should escalate the matter to someone higher up in the food chain.

- badenov

Reply to
Nomen Nescio

Not really.

The CSID is a unique code that's usually set up in the downloading software to prevent another alarm company from remotely accessing your computer (as in a take-over). The code is only known to key personnel of the installing company. This number can be "blocked" from view (and in some larger companies, usually is). Typically only one computer is used to download panels.

Can they access your system whenever they want? Yes, but I usually call the customer first to let them know that I'm going to be uploading their system so they don't "panic" when the phone line goes dead for a few seconds. I'll call them back after the download is complete to tell them that everything's alright. Sometimes the customer calls me to request a code change or to change the phone number of the pager alert. Downloading the requested changes is the easiest way to accomplish this and I don't charge for the service. The only exception is fire alarm communicators which are only downloaded when the installer/service tech is on site and the units are fully tested once all programming has been done.

On rare occasions a customer will call to cancel their service. In this instance I always default the panel to the original factory settings (installer code, CSID) and delete the telephone numbers and account codes used to communicate alarms/troubles to our station. The system will continue function as a "local".

Reply to
Frank Olson

I find it odd that you find that odd

Reply to
Mark Leuck

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.