IS IPSEC FEATURE REQUIRED IN THE CUSTOMER EDGE ROUTER ?

Hi folks,

In the context of the IPVPN (MPLS), is the customer edge router has to support IPSEC?

Thanks, ConceptZone

Reply to
ConceptZone
Loading thread data ...

it depends.

MPLS doesnt need IPsec or any other tunnelling to work, and the edge router only needs simple IP forwarding - all that label stuff happens in the network core, on the PE and P routers.

if this is a "private" MPLS service, and you dont consider the risk of the carrier tapping the traffic a big problem then no security is needed.

The Q you didnt ask is whether you should use encryption - you dont have to but you can if you want (the same answer as for a VPN across the Internet really).

Reply to
stephen

Thank you so much really, you gave me a great answer, just one thing more raised up in my mine

what about the voice cpmression across MPLS ?

thanks again

ConceptZone

stephen wrote:

Reply to
ConceptZone

Thank you so much really, you gave me a great answer, just one thing more raised up in my mine

what about the voice cpmression across MPLS ?

thanks again

ConceptZone

stephen wrote:

Reply to
ConceptZone

voice compression in IP? - its just IP......

headers (for voice specifically because it is lots of small packets) - see below

can you do data (not just voice) compression across a serial link? - yes - but most carriers (at least here in UK) dont because: they sell bandwidth for a living the hit on the aggregation / PE router for processing is painful.

Also data compression gives a "variable return" - in particular the more pre processing (compression, encryption), the less the improvement in thruput. Try writing that into an SLA.......

Reply to
stephen

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.