"Energy Star" security system control panels?

Which security system main control panels have the "Energy Star" rating?

FYI - An Energy Star rating means an appliance is designed to save energy. Energy Star web site...

formatting link

Reply to
Bill
Loading thread data ...

The amount of energy consumed by any standard alarm panel is miniscule.

My first question to you is, "Do manufacturers have to pay a fee to put your logo on their product?" Are you trying to be the next UL?

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Nah! He's just trying to make a living just like everyone else.

Hey Bob ..... maybe we can make up our own standard like ..... uh

The energy MOON lable. To qualify, all one has to do is believe that global warming isn't a natural event.

They can then qualify to go to the website and get mooned by a person of a gender of their choice. Only one to each qualifier unless they change their own gender in the future.

Reply to
Jim

You gotta be joking.

Reply to
Crash Gordon

From the following link...

"...The highest leakers were concentrated in a surprisingly narrow number of products.... ...Two of the three security systems we metered also consumed more than 10 watts in standby..."

Leaking Electricity: Individual Field Measurement of Consumer Electronics

formatting link

Reply to
Bill

formatting link
Sooooooo .................. what's your point!?

Reply to
Jim

ENERGY STAR is a joint program of the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency and the U.S. Department of Energy helping us all save money and protect the environment through energy efficient products and practices.

formatting link

Reply to
Bill

SNIP

10 / 13.5 = .75 apx. In light of the total auxiliary power current available for most panels explain the clip above, and how you made that determination.

2 out of 3 of your test panels continuously pulled 750 milliamps even though most panels are rated to provide 500 milliamps auxilary power. Go further and explain how the panel can be blamed or not blamed for what devices you may have had connected, and the condition of your batteries. Or where you failing to make certain the backup batteries were fully charged or are you not familiar enough with how an alarm panel works or as I asked quite pointedly before are you just another self appointed standards company trying to make money by selling people the right to put your stamp on their product like UL.

Beep... Beep... Beep... Beep... Beep... Beep... Beep... Beep... Beep... Beep... Beep... Beep... Beep... Beep... Beep... Beep... Beep... Beep... Beep... Beep...

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Switched-mode power supply...

formatting link
GreenChip - Switched Mode Power Supply controller IC...
formatting link

Reply to
Bill

Now come on Bob! You can't ask him specific questions like that. What does he know about facts? He's just out trying to save the environment, 10 watts at a time.

Reply to
Jim

Ah, now we find out what you are hawking. Got it.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Made in Belgium I bet.

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Do some people on this forum need a dose of reality and a bit of counseling?

Paranoia - Excessive baseless suspicion of the motives of others which is contrary to reality.

Reality...

I do not have anything to do with Energy Star, this is a government program, I am not an environmentalist, I am not interested in "Green" anything, I do not own any businesses nor do I have anything to gain financially or otherwise by other people doing anything to save energy.

I was simply asking for *myself* if there are any Energy Star security system control panels. Everything else in my house is Energy Star. I have reduced my electric bill substantially in the past by instituting energy saving measures. The money I save I use to reduce my energy costs further. Currently I have money in my fund but am running out of things I can do to further reduce my energy use.

So now I am working on parasitic loads. Not just the security system, but everything which is "always on". Actually by redesigning or rewiring, I now have a near 100% "always off" house. (That is when I am not using something, it uses no electricity.)

The only thing left is the security system which is "always on". This will be a challenge, but I have some ideas. However before I go and "reinvent the wheel" I thought I would ask here if there were any existing security control panels which are Energy Star compliant. Apparently not, but it looks like they are in the works (thanks to the person who posted the DSC links).

Then since few here seemed to know anything about the new energy reduction law, I thought I would be nice and post a bit of information about this for you. I'm sure you will be having government customers in the future who will require this.

Now why is 10 watts or 1 watt important? By itself it is not. But when you add all this stuff up, the numbers add up dramatically. Seven years ago I was using 1300 kWh per month. I have reduced that to 340 kWh per month. There were a couple of big savers there to achieve this reduction, however the majority of this savings has been realized by many many small things.

And why is it important to reduce my energy consumption to the lowest possible? Because my next project is a solar electric "grid tie" net metering system. These cost an outrageous amount of money like $40,000 for

2000 watts. I can't afford that. However if I can reduce my electric needs to 1/4 or 1/5 that, then a solar electric system becomes affordable. Just a few hundred watts will do the trick.

What are my motives for doing this? First because I got ticked that I was receiving rate increase after rate increase for this and that. I decided to fight back and reduce this trend. Then secondly because I am nearing retirement and I think it would be a good thing to have a low cost of living. A low or zero electric bill for the rest of my life would not be so bad!

And should I have invested this money in the stock market instead? I'm glad I didn't is all I can say...

Reply to
Bill

I'd suggest you save some more money and turn your computer off.

Reply to
Jim

ha.

or unscrew 2 100watt light bulbs and you're there.

I can't see being concerned about the minute amount of power an alarm power draws.

Personally, I'd love to be off the grid, but it's just not practical yet.

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Now that I think about it, I'm just picturing him with a set of bicycle peddles under his computer desk, which when he peddles .... rubs a piece of silk against a glass rod ..... really really fast. ;-

>
Reply to
Jim

You ever watch Living With Ed (Ed Begley) on Cable? He has an exercise bike he rides hooked up to his toaster to make toast...he's VERY GREEN. Funny show though, his wife's always making fun of his excessively green ways.

Reply to
Crash Gordon

I've watched a few minutes of it a couple of times.

Reply to
Jim

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.