Energy cost to power an alarm system?

What is the monthly cost (electricity) to power an alarm system?

Reply to
Bill
Loading thread data ...

You're kidding, right?

Reply to
Crash Gordon

For a 24VDC 2AMP system, it costs about $1.25 per month in my state (Oregon) where electricity costs roughly $0.07 per kilowatt-hour.

Mike

Reply to
mbbaker

Just did the calcs on my home system and it's about 5-6 bucks a year.

Reply to
Crash Gordon
2 amp ? that's pretty big.
Reply to
Crash Gordon

And now you know why the big companies' contracts require the customer to furnish the electricity through the customer's meter and at his expense.

Reply to
Nomen Nescio

Less than a single dollar. The transformers which power alarm systems typically provide around 65 mA at 16.5V. They draw less than 1/2 an Amp at

120VAC. One I use frequently draws 0.43 Amps. Watts = Volts x Amps, so the transformer in question draws 5.16 Watts. There are 730 hours in the average month. 730 x 5.16 = 3. kWh per month to power the average alarm system.

If you were paying $0.10 per kWh your alarm should cost about 37 cents a month in power. I have no idea what your power company charges (actually, I don't even know what mine charges:)) but that should give you a fair approximation.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Wow only $0.07 per kilowatt-hour!

Here in the UK it's about $0.20

Reply to
CWatters

I'm paying 16.9¢ here in Texas, USA.

Reply to
G. Morgan

We're at 6.1 cents according to my last BCHydro bill.

Reply to
Frank Olson

pretty lucky my BC friend!! here we used to have the lowest price on electricity in NA but since our libearal party ass holl got in power he got us from a bit less then 5 cent a kW/hour to 7,3 cent in about 3 year

Reply to
Petem

Some people here (well actually 1) stated that we are spoiled since our gas prices are low so we apparently are also spoiled by low electrical costs however I shant comment about that lest I be chastised by those (that) previously stated people (person)

Reply to
Mark Leuck

The increased cost you pay is due to taxes

Reply to
Mark Leuck

I get my electric rate per kWh by dividing the amount of my monthly bill by the kilowatt hours I have used. This includes all the transmission charges, taxes, and various fees for this and that.

So that stated 9 cents per kWh could actually be 11 cents per kWh!

Reply to
Bill

I can't imagine being on 220v in the UK helps much either.

Reply to
CH®IS

That in itself should double the cost over our 110v :)

Reply to
Mark Leuck

Twice the voltage requires half the current. Theoretically it should make no difference, but in reality there should actually be a small savings with 220 because of reduced losses in the wires. Probably not a noticeable amount, but...

Reply to
Matt Ion

I'd have to imagine that the mortality rate in deaths due to electrocution has got to be a lot higher too. Who hasn't seen a kid stick something into a wall outlet?

Reply to
Jim

I'd have to imagine that the mortality rate in deaths due to electrocution has got to be a lot higher too. Who hasn't seen a kid stick something into a wall outlet?

I heard of a DIYer that was receiving instructions over the phone and was electrocuted when he was told to screw the..............electrical outlet. Obiviously, either the reception on his Vontage phone service wasn't all that good or the instructor had his mouth full of hamburger. The rest is history.

Reply to
Bob Worthy

Yeah, but I'll bet you he was ecSTATIC when he died.

Reply to
Jim

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.