QoS on Cisco WS-C2950-12 IOS 12.1(22)EA9

I am wondering what is possible to setup for a Cisco WS-C2950-12 to prioritize traffic between 2 ports on the switch but allow a third port also access on of the ports. The setup is as follows:

Port Fa0/1: Time Warner Cable Router Port Fa0/2: Sonicwall Firewall Port Fa0/3: VOIP controller card for our phones

I want the traffic between ports Fa0/3 and Fa0/1 to take precedence over taffic between Fa0/2 and Fa0/1. I tried to figure out a way to use VLANs but I cannot seem to make this work without another piece of equipment. Is there something I can do besides have a router for inter-vlan communication?

Thanks, Josh

Reply to
whitej77777
Loading thread data ...

Well, you could use your router, provided it has enough interfaces. You will need some sort of layer 3 device to route between the VLANs, be it the switch, a firewall, etc.

Regarding QoS, what problem are you trying to solve?

Here is the guide on QoS for your switch:

formatting link
Do you have the standard or enhanced image? I believe some of the features aren't there with the standard image.

At any rate, QoS is probably better used when you have more than 1 network device involved - end to end. I probably wouldn't worry about oversubscribing the backplane on this switch. Also, let's say you do mark your outbound packets (to Time Warner). They'll just ignore the DSCP values you set.

-Dan

formatting link

Reply to
dman1973

The problem I am trying to solve is poor VOIP sound quality. When the network traffic on our Sonicwall firewall is using alot of bandwidth the voice quality on the phones decreases. I need to make sure VOIP traffice takes precedence and always has enough bandwidth.

Thanks, Josh

Reply to
whitej77777

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.