Help with Multilink Config on Cisco 2621 IOS 12.3(20)

Hi everyone, I'm looking for some help on setting up a router - Cisco

2621 IOS 12.3(20).

Here's the setup:

- I have a T-1 coming in on ser0/0

- I have an ethernet connection coming from an Adtran coming in on fa0/0.

- fa0/1 is my internal interface.

I'd like to combine ser0/0 and fa0/0 together to provide more bandwith and some redundancy.

I was given these commands:

! interface Multilink1 ip address 70.103.50.194 255.255.255.224 no cdp enable ppp multilink ppp multilink group 1 ppp multilink fragment disable ! interface FastEthernet0/0 bandwidth 256 ip address 70.103.50.250 255.255.255.248 duplex auto speed auto no cdp enable ppp multilink group 1 ! interface Serial0/0 bandwidth 1536 ip address 70.103.50.193 255.255.255.224 no cdp enable encapsulation ppp ppp multilink group 1 service-module t1 remote-alarm-enable service-module t1 fdl ansi ! ! ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 Multilink1 !

The problem is I do not have a 'ppp' command option for my fa0/0 interface.

Where do I start?

Reply to
weston
Loading thread data ...

I am not sure if this is possible.

I have had a look at this myself (not for bandwidth but for QoS reasons on one link). I feel that it may be possible with PPPoE or maybe with L2TP but I have not been able to make any progress.

I have been having difficulty getting the Queuing that I need to work and it is clearly documented that Queuing is supported with MPPP.

If you make progress please let us know.

Good luck.

Reply to
Bod43

How do I setup PPPoE? I could get access to the Adtran 608 if I need to configure that end as well.

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.co.uk wrote:

Reply to
weston

OK, so it looks like using MultiLink on an ethernet connection is out of the question.

Can anybody help with any commands that would do the next best thing? Give me a combinded bandwith and automatic failover?

Reply to
weston

As you've figured out, you can't do this, as PPP multilink requires PPP, and you can't use PPP encapsulation on Ethernet [unless you're doing PPPoE, but let's not go there right now].

Your best best for load sharing would be to use equal cost routes and use CEF per-packet or per-destination load balancing. This will cover load spreading in your TRANSMIT path ... your [unspecified] upstream device[s] would have to do the load spreading in your RECEIVE path.

Cheers,

Aaron

Reply to
Aaron Leonard

Thanks Aaron! Just a couple questions on how that actually works in the real world.

If one link is T-1 (1.544Mpbs) and the other link is .5 Mbps, I theoretically have about 2Mbps of bandwith. If I used IP cef and equal costs routes, would I be able to download something at 2mbs?

Also, if one of the links were to drop, is it smart enough to stop load sharing on the down link, and just use the link that is up?

Aar> As you've figured out, you can't do this, as PPP multilink requires PPP,

Reply to
weston

~ Thanks Aaron! Just a couple questions on how that actually works in ~ the real world.

Ah, well things get complicated in the REAL world. My discussion below is a rough APPROXIMATION with much implicit handwaving passim.

~ If one link is T-1 (1.544Mpbs) and the other link is .5 Mbps, I ~ theoretically have about 2Mbps of bandwith. If I used IP cef and equal ~ costs routes, would I be able to download something at 2mbs?

First of all, I assume that you have control over the routing tables at each end of your link pair.

[router 1]s0---link 1 (1.5Mbps)---s0[router 2] f0____link 2 (0.5Mbps)____f0

So let's say that you have equal cost routes on each side - i.e. r1 has:

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 f0

and vice versa.

So if you configure CEF per [source/]destination, then half of your source/dest pairs will use link 1 and half will use link 2.

Will this give you the ability to download something at 2Mbps? No; each source/dest pair will be able to use either at most 1.5Mbps or at most 0.5Mbps. However, with two concurrently active connections, one could use 0.5Mbps and the other 1.5Mbps, for an AGGREGATE of 2Mbps.

On the other hand, if your main interest is single stream throughput, then this scheme would be worse than just having your default route use the 1.5Mbps link, as half the time your single stream will get 1.5Mbps and half the time 0.5Mbps.

The alternative here is to do per packet load balancing. Then your single stream will send one packet to the .5Mbps link, one to the 1.5Mbps link, one to the .5Mbps link, etc. With the result that you will be transmitting at 1Mbps (assuming equal sized packets and other assumptions.) Again, worse than the single route via link 1 scheme.

So you could try doing this:

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 f0 ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 s0

Now, you will switch only 1/4 of your packets out f0 and 3/4 out s0. With the result that THEORETICALLY your single stream might see 2Mbps of throughput.

However, here is where the real world, where you encounter things like TCP implementations that can't ACK out of order packets, starts to encroach.

Bottom line is, it's almost surely not worth it to try to spread load across links with a 3:1 speed difference (esp. if they have a significant latency variance). Except as a learning experience.

~ Also, if one of the links were to drop, is it smart enough to stop load ~ sharing on the down link, and just use the link that is up?

Sure, assuming that your routing scheme is smart enough to know whether an interface is down or up. That's inherent in your T1 link (probably), but your network path thru your Ethernet might go down without the Ethernet going down, so static routes probably wouldn't do the trick, and you'd need to mix in fancy stuff like an IGP or "Reliable Static Routing Backup Using Object Tracking".

Have fun,

Aaron

Reply to
Aaron Leonard

Excellent info Aaron and thanks for taking the time to respond! I'm going to try CEF per destination to see if I can at least get an aggregate of 2Mbps

I'm not using any fancing routing protocols, just RIP right now, so I'm assuming if the T1 drops, then traffic will seamlessly use the .5Mbps connection. BUT, if the .5Mbps connection drop (which is just plain ethernet) will that mean every other outbound request will fail?

Aar> ~ Thanks Aaron! Just a couple questions on how that actually works in

Reply to
weston

~ Excellent info Aaron and thanks for taking the time to respond! I'm ~ going to try CEF per destination to see if I can at least get an ~ aggregate of 2Mbps ~ ~ I'm not using any fancing routing protocols, just RIP right now,

RIP is plenty fancy for our purposes here.

~ so I'm ~ assuming if the T1 drops, then traffic will seamlessly use the .5Mbps ~ connection. BUT, if the .5Mbps connection drop (which is just plain ~ ethernet) will that mean every other outbound request will fail?

Well, if you stop getting RIP info from your Ethernet, then your default route via the Ethernet path will go away, so traffic should stop being routed in that direction.

Aaron

Reply to
Aaron Leonard

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.