Cisco 2621 w/Firewall IOS and Linksys WRV54G

We have a managed Internet connection from a telecom provider which uses a Cisco 2621 and the IOS Firewall (I believe) software as the CPE. I do not have access to the router and have only the basics of the configuration. The management service level is minimal (by contract); I generally need to provide at least the basics of any change I require. Given the overall situation with this service provider I am not even sure they have a customer engineering group any more.

I have an end user who needs to connect to a remote system based on a Linksys WRV54G using the EasyVPN client software. This client connects successfully on an open Internet connection (e.g. at Starbucks), but not surprisingly fails on our network.

Problem is - I can't find anything in the documentation or on the Linksys web site telling me what protocols and ports I need to open to make the connection work. They apparently assume the client can use any without restrictions, which is not the case on any corporate network I know of.

I have submitted questions to Linksys support over the last 6 days and received no response, within 24 hours or otherwise. Of course the unit comes with no support contract.

We ran an Ethereal trace and examined it to the best of our ability, but we don't see anything obviously wrong or any clear indication of how the connection is occuring/failing.

Does anyone have any experience/insight on connecting with this client? My advice to not buy the Linksys was already disregarded.

Thanks.

sPh

Reply to
sphealey
Loading thread data ...

Please clarify the topology in question...

Is it ?

PC with Cisco VPN client ---> Linksys WRV54G ---> CM/DSL modem -->

Internet --->

---> Cisco 2621 ---> corp network

Reply to
Merv

PC with Linksys EasyVPN client => Cisco 2621 => T1 => {Internet} => DSL provider => DSL modem w/fixed IP => Linksys 54G => target W2K server

although I am not absolutely sure of the topology on the far (Linksys router) end.

sPh

Reply to
sPh

So when the PC is not behind the 2621 it can communicate with the Linksys 54G and when it is behind the 2621 it cannot communicate - is that right ?

For port to open on 2621, see Walter's post at :

formatting link

Reply to
Merv

"Managed" means this is your telecom's problem.

If they do not wish to resolve it for you, demand access to the "managed" portion of the service, namely the router.

Odds are it needs to be upgraded with ram/flash/ios and its configuration needs to be overhauled.

Reply to
jmaimon

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.